Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I would like to say hi to this forum. I am a new owner of a new 2008 ABS Goldwing that I took delivery on 12/30. It had .8 miles on it and now has 18 miles on it. I noticed that in riding in 38 degree weather in NJ that everything was comfortable except the feet. They got cold. My old bike was a Kaw VN 1600 and had a Engine Guard Chaps tat kept my feet toastie and dry.
So, what is the solution?
The other question is what accessories are the first you get for the Goldwing. This bike is stock ABS. I brought over from the other bike my electric vest, gloves and pants as well as the battery tender. So suggestions please and the best places to shop for the items.

thanks, and hope to contribute once I have some miles on the Goldwing.

Bruce
2008 Goldwing ABS - dark red

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
imported post

Welcome btbogdan I have a 1500 and bought a plexi-glass wind wing that mounted to the side crash bars around the valve covers. I also bought the wind wings for the fairing and the mirrors. The fairing wind wings direct air towards the rider in the summer or keep wind off of the passenger when cooler. I have the Baker Built wind wings and they work awesome. The wind wings on the mirrors help when raining to keep the rain off of your hands also to direct wind in the hot. I'm sure 1800 owners will be along shortly. Happy New Year.:action:By the way have you heard of Americade at Lake George N.Y. that's were I got all my accessories installed. It's great because they do the work infront of you and you get to see how they do it and others who have installed it already and what they say about it. Americade is June 1st thru 6th this year in 09. If you try and go book a room soon most who go return anually. Great color bike by the way that's the color I'd also get.:cool:

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

Congratulations, I'm sure you'll be very pleased with your choice.

As far as accessories are concerned the first 2 things I added to both of my 1800's were the rear wing with brake light and the fog lights. Next I added a backrest and highway pegs, I prefer the Utopia back rest and the Mick-O-Pegs.

I buy most of my accessories from a local specialty dealer, his prices are usually competitive and I don't mind paying a little more for the convenience and service. I have also purchased a number of items from Direct line Parts. ( http://www.directlineparts.com ) They have always treated me well and they have 10% off sale going on until 8AM on 1/6/09. The coupon code for the sale is "SANTA".

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

As aht states - rear spoiler with lights then a WigWag and some highway pegs.

Browse cyclemaxohio.com before mail ordering elsewere - great folks over there!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Front headlight modulator(number one) rear brake modulator(number two) Good lower running lights also.

Then a real good full face or modular helmet, good jacket with armor in it, that kind of thing.

Then it is up to you, there are enough shiny bits out there to make sure the UPS truck and Federal Express make a weekly stop at your house. :) Kit

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

Handlebar risers may be an option, depending on your size and how you fit the bike. the Kuryakyn set has five different positions.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Backrest

Hi-way pegs/boards

Grips

Aux lights

Congrats on new bike !! :)

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
imported post

I added the following items to my 2008 ...

Utopia backrest

Fog lights

Headlight and brakelight modulators

Baker Built Wings that attach under the mirrors.

Kuryakyn luggage rack

Passenger armrests

Kuryakyn Clam shell grips that fit over the stock heated grip.

Hope this helps ... enjoy your new ride and welcome to the forum.:waving:

Bob

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

I agree with Kit. I rode this summer without a good jacket and a decent helmet. I have now taken care of the gear and the modulators are on order. Protect yourself before you start making the bike look handsome.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

Function first. Anything that adds comfort or saftey. The bling comes last.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Yep,

I had one of the gremlin bells on my Kaw 1600 Classic and never had a problem with that bike. Guess I will have to go and get another one for this one.

Thanks for the reminder

·
Premium Member
725 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Now that you said "it works better as a gift", It was a gift and the giver is no longer in my life.:)?). So any suggestions - all the gift cards were for Best Buy or Lowes etc.

Do I need to wait for the gift??? :(

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

btbogdan wrote:
I noticed that in riding in 38 degree weather in NJ that everything was comfortable except the feet. They got cold.

Bruce
2008 Goldwing ABS - dark red
Welcome to the best goldwing site

The bike has toe warmers fitted to it, the little control just above the LH pocket, move it to the right (it opens flaps in the lower engine guards) - these should keep the feet warmish. :jumper:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Wish it were so, that was the first thing I did was to pull the lever and open the flaps. But it did not work in high 30 degree weather. As soon as I lowered the toes down to stretch, the cold began to penetrate the shoe.

Thanks for the support though, I am sure there are other gadgets and shortcuts I have yet to discover on the new Wing..like just found out the antennae folds down for garage entry. - yeah:cool:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned a belly pan or something forprotecting the very vulnerable coolant recovery tank! That would be my 1st purchase or fabrication. :baffled:

Definitely go with the safety/comfort goodies, such as Baker BuiltHand/Leg/Hand/Foot Wind Wings, modulators, aux driving lamps, highway pegs/boards.

Hopefully you have an armoured jacket from your previous bike

Enjoy your new ride!

Dusty

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned a belly pan or something forprotecting the very vulnerable coolant recovery tank! That would be my 1st purchase or fabrication. :baffled:

Well ... I guess I'm getting old .... :baffled: I just can't remember everything that I once could ... or I guess I could ... or whatever. :action:

Mine has the Tulsa Belly Pan... You are right ... that is very important item to have.

It also helps with the wind ... especially around the 18 wheelers.

Bob

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned a belly pan or something forprotecting the very vulnerable coolant recovery tank! That would be my 1st purchase or fabrication. :baffled:.............
I put over 50,000 miles on my 2005 before I was convinced to add a Tusla belly pan to "protect" the coolant recovery bottle. The bottle did have some dings and abrasions from use, but it didn't leak.

After riding with a belly pan installed for about 20,000 miles I think:
- Unprotected recovery bottles seldom leak and only cost $20.
- Breaking a recovery bottle doesn't stop me from riding.
- The bike runs hotter with the belly pan installed.
- The belly pan does nothing for the handing.

I have a new Tulsa pan sitting in the garage for my 2009 that I haven't bothered installing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.