Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The thread about doing a pre-ride check by lopeha got me to thinking that there must be a better/easier way to check our tire pressure, especially on the rear, as it is hard to judge/access, with it being hidden so much by the bags.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Accu Pressure tire caps that Cyclemax sells? .... and if he would break them up into different pressure ranges. I like to run the front @36psi(I'd have to settle for a 38psi one), while I run the rear @40psi:?

http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/20882

Dusty

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

They are bad news if you ask me.

Especially on right angle stems.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

I have heard the same as Rudy is talking about. On a straight stem they work fine. On a angle stem the vibration will break the valve stem. I have them on my 1100 everyday ride(straight stem) but do not use them on the 1500

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I saw a 36 guage on the drop-down......can't you use that?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,150 Posts
imported post

I heard/read here on the forums about someone having a bad leak with those added. The extra weight broke the valve stem(s).

Like Rudy mentioned, if you got right angled valve stems it just makes it worse.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

flashya2 wrote:
I saw a 36 guage on the drop-down......can't you use that?
[align=left]

They didn't show that one(36psi) on the Accu Pressure home page. :baffled:

--------------------------------------------

I guess they weigh(substantially?) more than the regular plastic air valve cap then(?)

For the sake of safety, I'll just keep what I have, install those black zip ties around the stems I've been meaning toand make a habit of performing a weekly check of the actual pressure. :action:

I recently bought a new dial gauge, as my old plasticone is getting beat up and has been dropped more than a few times.:shock:

Just wish it was easier to access them. :whip:

Guess if I lost a few pounds that would make it easier!:blushing::D[/align]
[align=left]

Thanks for the feedback. :coollep:[/align]

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

This got me thinking, has anyone tried simply abandoning the right angle stems and using straight ones. I don't know how much clearance there is, and my bike is buried for the winter. Seems to me those devices would be OK on straight stems.

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
imported post

I have them on my Valk (90degree valves front and back). My mate Steve has them on his:15magenta: GL1500, and he previously had them on his:12blue: 1200. I also have them on my SuperMagna (90degree valve on the back). We also have them on our CB750KZ.

We been using them for years, and haven't had a moments trouble with them, and the colour reference bands give an instant alert to a possible problem with pressure, and sure beats crawling around on the ground under the boxes with a pencil gauge to check the tyre pressure.

:action::action:

Edit

BTW, they are availble from about 26psi, all the way up to 48psi (if I remember correctly) in 2psi increments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.