Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, just picked up a 1978 GL1000 with a vetter fairing. It's not running yet, I just ordered a new starter solenoid, and need to get a new starter switch. For $250.00 I'm expecting to find more than a few things wrong.

I posted a few things on the "Hello" forum, and they suggested that I cross-post my questions here.

It sat for two years in the previous owners garage, so once I get it to start, I'll be taking it in for a major tune-up and have the shop give it a good looking over for anything I didn't notice.

Some things I noticed about the bike:
-I bought a new battery, and when I turn the key, the radiator fan comes on... it's only 40 degrees in the garage, I didn't expect that.
-The neutral light does not come on, I checked the bulb and it is fine.
-We squirted oil into the cyclinders and put new plugs in. In gear we rolled it back and forth a bit to check for stuck pistons, it was fine. I'm really glad the pistons aren't stuck.
-Bypassing the solenoid, the starter turns, but doesn't engage.
-It came with two saddlebags, an upper "trunk", and a trailer hitch that were not hooked on. Any diagrams on the web showing how to hook these items on?
-It's heavier than any bike I've owned. My Vulcan 1500 was easier to put on it's center stand... I've read the FAQ about getting this one up, and will try today.

I downloaded the user and repair manuals. They have been most helpful.

-Gary
Seattle

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Starter not engaging maybe thick oil.. or gummed up throwout bearing in the starter. Bump start it and warm it up see if that helps, use a light or oil heater stick to warm oil? drain a quart of oil, put in some seafoam run it for 100 miles drain oil replace with fresh 10/40 or try and it Keep it in a heated garage for a day.

Someone hot wired the fan..find it..disconnect but your thermo may be out and that's why they jumped it?

neutral light switch can get gummed up but usually it stays on all time if that's an issue..it's a PITA to remove but easily cleaned or replaced once out. Maybe lose ground..

No help on the bags but there should be a fairly large set of chrome bars/brackets that will only match up one way..if you don't have the brackets you'll need to get some. They usually bolt tot he seat stud bolts and/or the the lower shock mounting bolt.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Krono, welcome to the forum!

First thing's first,

DO NOT TOUCH THAT STARTER BUTTON!

At least until you read this thread:
Resurrecting An Old Goldwing

You'll not regret it.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Wow, thanks for all the info.

-Blown fuses, neutral light, horn, turn signals work now. Left rear turn signal wire is too short from the P.O. wiring in trailer wiring. Easy fix on the wiring.

MDKramer I Promise not to push the starter button until I read through that site!
Bagmaster thanks for the Vetter and Techtips link.
RB I believe there is 20w50 in the Wing, I'll drain it out and replace with 30w. I'll check the thermostat as well. I'm glad I'm not in a hurry to ride it yet, they weather is still cold, and my riding gear is on storage.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
imported post

you definitely got a deal, but I would use 15w40 instead of 30w, just my opinion, I'm sure others might differ.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

Yeah you did get a good deal I bought my 1977 for $200 without vetter fairing. I did pickup the fairing for 130.00 when I was looking for a seat.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

What Tom said above on the oil. Do you know about what type not to buy, because of wet clutch? Circle on oil bottle bottom half blank....

·
Premium Member
266 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Not being tech minded there is little that I can add, but that sure looks a great find there, being as she is so complete and not in bad shape cosmetically. :clapper:

Regarding the difficulty of getting her up on the centre stand, as well as the necessary "technique" I was wondering if the KZ that you have, has air shocks that may need some air in, which might make the bike stand a little higher and make it easier to get onto the stand?

As you wil no doubt either already know, or come across in reading all the great stuff that folks have linked you to, the timing belts are all important to have in good shape, because although instances are rare, if one of those goes on you the engine is toast, where valves meet pistons, in a nasty way, so check them out before attempting to start her and probably change them out unless you have poof of them being recently changed.

good luck with bringing her back to former glory and please keep us updated on progress.

:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Don't buy oil with friction modifiers..it will burn your clutch..lots of threads here on oil do a search..rotella seems to be a favorite but there are others

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I'll do a search for oil topics in the forums. Thanks for the tips.

It's freezing in the garage today, and I've got too much crap laying around to safely turn on the propane heater. Looks like a good night to stay inside, read the forums, and watch Isle of Man TT videos.

Gary

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Been working away on the GL1000.
The timing belts look perfect, It must have been replaced at the last service before the PO stopped riding.
Drained the oil and replaced with Rotella.
Drained the old front brake fluid. Ordered new rebuild kits and new brake pistons.
Drained and pulled the radiator to replace the temp sensor. The old temp sensor looked like a cat vomited on it. No really, I have four cats.
Washed about 8 cups of sand off the top of the engine while the radiator was off.
Washed and cleaned the radiator exterior. Your can see through the fins now.
Put the new starter solenoid in, and broke the bottom tab off the positive cable.

So where can I get a new positive cable? The dealership tells me that Honda doesn't offer them anymore. I tried having Napa make me one, but they said they don't have the right angle ends like the original. I've searched for Goldwing positive battery cable on google, but it keeps pulling up negative cables.

Gary
1978 GL1000

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Don't know for certain that it would work, but seeing that you had broken the cable end, I wonder if you might be able to addapt the positive cable from a later model or even one from a totally unrelated bike. Just a thought and as I say, I don't know, but someone might be able to tell you.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
imported post

I got a cable from a cycle repair shop, had to bend one end and cut it shorter on the other, easy to do.

if you have vetter bags, let me know and I can take some pics of my set up for you, the instructions from Vetter are easy to read, but pics always helps.

Congrats on the find

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

KronoNaut wrote:
So where can I get a new positive cable? The dealership tells me that Honda doesn't offer them anymore. I tried having Napa make me one, but they said they don't have the right angle ends like the original. I've searched for Goldwing positive battery cable on google, but it keeps pulling up negative cables.
Members over on NGW suggested this:

John Deere riding mower model L120
Cable part # GY20169 $6.99
Has a built in short pigtail (useful for accessories)
Available at any John Deere dealer.

Haven't tried it myself, but the price is right.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
imported post

KronoNaut wrote:
Been working away on the GL1000.
The timing belts look perfect, It must have been replaced at the last service before the PO stopped riding.

Gary
1978 GL1000
Gary: If you aren't 100% sure that the timing belts have been replaced then you should replace them. 30 yr old timing belts LOOK PERFECT. Big mistake. Mine looked perfect also. Left side broke at 70 mph. New valves, valve guides and head gasket. Not cheap. Broken pistons are also a possibility. Can you find out from the POif they have been replaced?

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Hi Gary, and Welcome to a great Goldwing forum. Just reading all the posts and thought that you might want to check the Mfg date on your tires and check really close for aging cracks. unless the PO told you when he put them on the bike. And also your cluch oil I would change along with all other fluids. Good to hear your getting a Goldie oldie going again. Keep us up to-date. :waving: :)

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Some good news:
Positive cable. I went to the auto parts store and bought a new end for the existing cable. I cleaned everything up and sweat soldered the new end on. Now I have a working cable.

The tires and timing belts are only two years old. Well, four, but the bike hasn't been ridden for two.

I found a short and fixed it. the PO had installed some tiny little lights on the bottom of the front forks. The wires were running against the bottom of the headstock. When that little tab ran against them the fuse would blow. Since the lights were all busted up I pulled them off the bike, pulled the wires off the aux block and no more shorts.

Dumb news:
The bike is stuck in gear. Okay I did this today. Will need to play with the shifter to find neutral again. There is a little sweet spot I need to find again.

Possibly bad news:
Starter whine: When the bike was in neutral, and I pressed on the starter I could hear it engage. there was a bit of a whine. I made a few calls and was told it was probably the starter clutch. They told me to go to this website before i do anything else. http://www.htctech.net/~squirts/techtips.htm#clutch Basically it says to hold down the starter for a couple seconds and repeat for no longer then 5 min to free up the starter roller. Well, didn't work. I found this forums starter post, and I'm betting on the gummed up rollers.

So I'll be taking the machine to the shop if I don't get it started at the end of the month. It may cost me a lot more than just doing the work myself... but after paying only $250 for the bike I can afford to toss some repair money into it.

I have to get it running soon anyway. Highway 20, the north cascades highway is opening a month early this year. My neighbors with their new Guzzi want me to go riding with them.
Gary

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.