Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To keep Honda at the leading edge of design, the 2019 Gold Wing should include an Adaptive Cruise Control. The technology has matured enough in cars, and application to a motorcycle should be well within the capabilities of the few vendors now supplying General Motors, Ford, Honda, etc.
Managing following distance and avoiding slow speed fender benders would be welcome. But first, Honda should straighten out the confusing button direction choices now used to control the 2018 system.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Following on to that - the Goldwing should have sensors that indicate when you're stopped, and a vehicle is approaching from the rear at a high rate of speed, and it should flash the brake lights, beep the horn, and send a small thermonuclear missile shooting out the tailpipe to avoid a rear-end collision.

I've got a Raspberry Pi and a soldering iron, who's got experience with sonic or radar ranging?

·
Administrator
24,345 Posts
Following on to that - the Goldwing should have sensors that indicate when you're stopped, and a vehicle is approaching from the rear at a high rate of speed,
That is called rear view mirrors.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Our new semis with auto tranny also have adaptive CC and wil scare the crap out the driver if at highway speeds there is a very slow car in the lane you are in,it sees the vehicle and starts to slow and the if the distance is closing too fast it will start to downshift and braking at the same time and if there’s another vehicle in the other lane and you get over,it gets exciting,espically at nite and the vehicle has no back lights.

·
Administrator
57,377 Posts
Our new semis with auto tranny also have adaptive CC and wil scare the crap out the driver if at highway speeds there is a very slow car in the lane you are in,it sees the vehicle and starts to slow and the if the distance is closing too fast it will start to downshift and braking at the same time and if there’s another vehicle in the other lane and you get over,it gets exciting,espically at nite and the vehicle has no back lights.

Holy Cow!!!

I did not realize that tech had been applied to the big rigs :surprise:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Holy Cow!!!

I did not realize that tech had been applied to the big rigs :surprise:
O yeah,they even let us know if someone is on our blind spot on the right side even if we don’t se them and the Volvo’s even honk the horn on the truck.

·
Administrator
57,377 Posts
saw an interesting fender bender today in Siloam Spring, Arkansas.

4 lane traffic, traveling at 25 mph or so....

4 cars all stopped in an intersection.....

one of the cars has a severe amount of left rear fender damage.... none to the rear, so he did not get Rear Ended......

the driver was frail with snowy white hair, and he looked very pissed while running his hands over the newly modified fender.

it appeared someone just decided to change lanes without looking and " crunch, what is that?? "

·
Banned
500 Posts
O yeah,they even let us know if someone is on our blind spot on the right side even if we don’t se them and the Volvo’s even honk the horn on the truck.

i saw a documentary of self driving trucks a couple years ago. i think it was done in death valley? short story is the trucks would do as you stated and still needed a driver as a backup! think of those giant farm tractors that plant or harvest according to the gps programming you write to their eeprom or maybe hard drive.

·
Administrator
57,377 Posts
I think Dennis is right, don't trust something that you cant be sure works.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44439523
I have wondered about that situation....

Much like what we see everyday, the 18 wheeler hits his brakes, and suddenly moves to an adjacent lane....

If you are following in the "Stupid Zone" e.g. about 1 car length behind his bumper, you are going to hit whatever he dodged.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I have adaptive cruise control. It's a simple matter of turning the cc off in traffic, paying attention to what is going on around you and driving defensively.

Is driving cutting into your phone time?
For me ,it makes my job easier and safer from killing some auto driver that I didn’t know was where I can’t see them,some people are too old to learn to use the devices that could save their life.
Cutting into phone time,getting caught using the phone in a semi will put a dent in your wallet so NO it doesn’t cut into my phone time.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
It's not about learning anything. If you don't already know it's stupid to be relying on your cruise control to keep you from running into the car in front of you, well...
Yep in a perfect situation your theory would be all one would need BUT in a non perfect situation tehnonogy will save someone’s family,we as Prfessional drivers of 80,000 lb vehicle have been taught to do anything possible to keep from taking a life and in some circumstance drivers make the decision to sacrifice their own life to save others,now we as drivers can count on having some help from technology.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
The adaptive cruise on my 2017 RAV4 is one of the best things about a great car. If the fool in front of you decides to lock up the brakes because a chipmunk just ran out onto the road, the car will start to brake before your brain even notices the brake lights in front of you. "Keep a safe distance," you say. EXACTLY . . . the RAV has three distance settings on the cruise. If someone decides to fill the empty space, the car just backs off to adjust the following distance.

·
Banned
500 Posts
The adaptive cruise on my 2017 RAV4 is one of the best things about a great car. If the fool in front of you decides to lock up the brakes because a chipmunk just ran out onto the road, the car will start to brake before your brain even notices the brake lights in front of you. "Keep a safe distance," you say. EXACTLY . . . the RAV has three distance settings on the cruise. If someone decides to fill the empty space, the car just backs off to adjust the following distance.

around here, with all the fools constantly cutting off and crowding into your safe zone, would burn out you brakes really quick. can computers compensate for stupid? no, that is something that cant be fixed.

i guess that technology would be useful on freeways, but who drives on those?

·
Registered
176 Posts
To keep Honda at the leading edge of design, the 2019 Gold Wing should include an Adaptive Cruise Control. The technology has matured enough in cars, and application to a motorcycle should be well within the capabilities of the few vendors now supplying General Motors, Ford, Honda, etc.
Managing following distance and avoiding slow speed fender benders would be welcome. But first, Honda should straighten out the confusing button direction choices now used to control the 2018 system.
They won't be on the 2019s. They're already released. Only big changes are that they took away the white one and replaced it with a black one. 2019 buyers get two key fobs.http://powersports.honda.com/

·
Registered
226 Posts
I programmed two Arduinos. One I built with Artificial Intelligence. One I built with Artificial Stupidity.

I accidentally let them touch on the workbench, and the resulting explosion took out half of my garage.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts