Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Adaptive Cruise Control - It's time

8K views 38 replies 15 participants last post by  Pure Texas 
#1 ·
To keep Honda at the leading edge of design, the 2019 Gold Wing should include an Adaptive Cruise Control. The technology has matured enough in cars, and application to a motorcycle should be well within the capabilities of the few vendors now supplying General Motors, Ford, Honda, etc.
Managing following distance and avoiding slow speed fender benders would be welcome. But first, Honda should straighten out the confusing button direction choices now used to control the 2018 system.

#2 ·
Following on to that - the Goldwing should have sensors that indicate when you're stopped, and a vehicle is approaching from the rear at a high rate of speed, and it should flash the brake lights, beep the horn, and send a small thermonuclear missile shooting out the tailpipe to avoid a rear-end collision.

I've got a Raspberry Pi and a soldering iron, who's got experience with sonic or radar ranging?

#4 ·
Our new semis with auto tranny also have adaptive CC and wil scare the crap out the driver if at highway speeds there is a very slow car in the lane you are in,it sees the vehicle and starts to slow and the if the distance is closing too fast it will start to downshift and braking at the same time and if there’s another vehicle in the other lane and you get over,it gets exciting,espically at nite and the vehicle has no back lights.

#14 ·
For me ,it makes my job easier and safer from killing some auto driver that I didn’t know was where I can’t see them,some people are too old to learn to use the devices that could save their life.
Cutting into phone time,getting caught using the phone in a semi will put a dent in your wallet so NO it doesn’t cut into my phone time.

#8 ·
saw an interesting fender bender today in Siloam Spring, Arkansas.

4 lane traffic, traveling at 25 mph or so....

4 cars all stopped in an intersection.....

one of the cars has a severe amount of left rear fender damage.... none to the rear, so he did not get Rear Ended......

the driver was frail with snowy white hair, and he looked very pissed while running his hands over the newly modified fender.

it appeared someone just decided to change lanes without looking and " crunch, what is that?? "

#11 ·
I think Dennis is right, don't trust something that you cant be sure works.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44439523
I have wondered about that situation....

Much like what we see everyday, the 18 wheeler hits his brakes, and suddenly moves to an adjacent lane....

If you are following in the "Stupid Zone" e.g. about 1 car length behind his bumper, you are going to hit whatever he dodged.

#16 ·
Yep in a perfect situation your theory would be all one would need BUT in a non perfect situation tehnonogy will save someone’s family,we as Prfessional drivers of 80,000 lb vehicle have been taught to do anything possible to keep from taking a life and in some circumstance drivers make the decision to sacrifice their own life to save others,now we as drivers can count on having some help from technology.

#17 ·
The adaptive cruise on my 2017 RAV4 is one of the best things about a great car. If the fool in front of you decides to lock up the brakes because a chipmunk just ran out onto the road, the car will start to brake before your brain even notices the brake lights in front of you. "Keep a safe distance," you say. EXACTLY . . . the RAV has three distance settings on the cruise. If someone decides to fill the empty space, the car just backs off to adjust the following distance.

#18 ·
around here, with all the fools constantly cutting off and crowding into your safe zone, would burn out you brakes really quick. can computers compensate for stupid? no, that is something that cant be fixed.

i guess that technology would be useful on freeways, but who drives on those?

#20 ·
I programmed two Arduinos. One I built with Artificial Intelligence. One I built with Artificial Stupidity.

I accidentally let them touch on the workbench, and the resulting explosion took out half of my garage.

Reactions: Honu425
#23 ·
FYI That demonstration video was faked. 2 Major Issues:

1, No where near enough nose dive for full emergency braking.
2, The dummy car is fabric and foam, not viable to the radar. The fact that it reacted at all shows that the pedestrian detection worked, it visually detected an obstacle and made efforts to reduce the impact. Thats all the system is meant to do.

Thats a lot more then auto pilot would do. Auto Pilot only keeps a plane level and at the same altitude and speed. No auto braking or object detection.

As for ACC on a motorcycle the difficulty would be sudden angle and height changes durring cornering. It is likely much harder to implement then a car where it has a mostly fixed height and angle. I would suspect we wont see it until the visual based ACC is able to function independently of radar. A video feed can be modified on the fly to adapt to the bikes sensor position changes.

#24 ·
Interesting senecio,I was in West Texas driving my semi in the passing lane and another vehicle in the right lane at around 500 feet,the road was making a long sweeping turn to the left and the adaptive cc on my truck was shooting a straight line on sight,my truck saw the vehicle and started downshifting and braking,fortunately I knew what was happened and tapped the brake to disengage the cc.so the system isn’t perfect but does the job.

#26 ·
The semi starts seeing the vehicle at 500 feet but will match their speed at around 350 but if like you say ,stay in the accelerator it will keep closing that distance or move over and my speed stays like it was set.

#27 ·
While Technology is all fine & dandy, all it's doing is dumbing down driving. This leads to more stupid drivers & do we really need more stupid drivers on the road? Cars & Trucks with "Park Assist" or "Trailer Assist". If you don't know how to parallel park, you don't deserve a license. If you can not backup a trailer, you shouldn't be pulling it in the first place. Contrary to popular belief, Technology is NOT infallible, Just ask Boeing.

#34 ·
I will never forget what my flight instructor told me.

"No matter how bad the situation, you NEVER QUIT FLYING THE AIRPLANE"

a controlled crash is far better than one you just simply give up on a turn loose of the controls.

for the Boeing pilots, that opportunity was taken away from them.
left to their own devices, they would have recovered and the passengers would still be alive.

#38 ·
I saw a video on this the day after the first instance. The sensor was at fault, but once they figured out that the plane needed to be manually flown, they had to correct the AOA manually with a large flywheel like control under the throttle/thrust console. In the demonstration, they had spin the wheel what looked like 10-15 revolutions. At that point the simulator overshot the correction and the co-pilot was left chasing the correction, like loose steering.
I wonder if "Skully" could have flown out of it? He did an amazing job in the river landing.

#39 ·
AOA can’t be corrected,it’s simply a weighted wing type apparatus that is set on the front outside of the airplane,one issue was the throttles were never pulled back from takeoff power,should have happen before the issue happened,it caused the airplane to gain speed causing high pressure on the horizontal stabilizers and nearly impossible tho turn those wheels that could have brought the nose up but the speed the aircraft was gaining there just wasn’t enough time or altitude to regain control.
Worked at Boeing 26 years and have complete faith in that airplane,that said,there should have been more intense training on that technology program,if you recall the Alaska plane that crashed off the coast of California,same issue except it was a frozen locked up lead screw,the same lead screw that controls the stabilizer on the 737 max.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.