Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Back in 2008 my 19 year old son Jordan was killed by a VBIED in Ramadi, Iraq when he stopped a suicide bomber from entering a Marine compound that he was defending which housed 33 Marines and over 20 Iraqi Police. Shortly after that we started a non-profit known as Jordan's Initiative to honor his service and sacrifice. The foundation provides aid and support to military personnel, veterans, and their families through different programs (handcycles, care packages, garden makeovers, financial support, etc....). Michelle and I are currently working on a project that will provide combat injured troops with a way to get back on a motorcycle.

We are looking for information regarding products, dealers, manufacturers, organizations, or custom builders that might help us to accomplish this mission. It would be wonderful to talk to some riders who are on an adaptive motorcycle now to get some first hand information of what works and what doesn't. When we have our handcycles built for someone, we always have our "bike guy" custom fit it to the individual so it works right and I imagine that we will have to do the same for a motorcycle.

We owe an incredible amount to our military and especially our combat wounded and Michelle and I don't mind taking on the challenges or expense of working this out, we just need the information to do so.....So bring it on!

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I think there are some links in my Bookmarks page.
Between my stuff and AZ's links there isn't too much not there.
http://goldwingtech.info/Rudys_MC_Links.htm

It's all flat file on that one page to make page searching easier. I get a lot of traffic on that page.

Also we thank you and your son for his sacrifice for the lives we get to live here.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thank for that Rudy. The more links the better. I'll start wading through that tonight after work. Also, thank you for your thoughts regarding my son.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

AxMan,

You may want to strike up a conversation with Jay at DMC Sidecars, Inc in Washington state. He builds custom sidecars and trikes:

Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
[email protected]

Also Claude at C. Stanley Motorsports in PA.

[email protected]

I also know of one guy who is building a roll-on trike. I can't find the link here at work, so I'll update this thread once I get home.

·
Pwhoever
3,172 Posts
imported post

One of the biggest things that you will probable run into is the manual clutch and shifting. There are electronicshifters that will make it easier and overcome that obstacle.2 that come to mind are Pingel and Kliktronic. Also I came across THIS PAGE that might have some useful info as well.

And very sorry to hear of the unfortunate loss of your son but his sacrifice will not go unforgotten....

·
Just one of the guys
4,800 Posts
imported post

Pop over to GL1800 riders.com and PM Wheels. He is a double amputee that has a trike with a wheel chair rack on it. I don't know where he got the setup but it sure works for him.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Lots of good information, thanks guys.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I can't add any help in your quest, but I too wanted to express my condolences for the loss of your son. I also want you to know that I am very grateful for his service and ultimate sacrifice. :bow:

John

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Hey Axe,

Here is a link to the guy who is building the roll-on trike. He overcame the shifter issue by using a Honda CB750A (A for Automatic).

http://notn.org/mcyclemain.htm

Hope it helps!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.