Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was planning to start the process of changing the timing belts on my Gold Wing tonight. When I went to pull one side of the lower fairing off, my Bandit was parked a bit too close. So, off I went to grab the key to the disc lock. I came back out and as I was unlocking the disc, I noticed that the discs had some surface rust. The last time it was ridden, my stepson got caught in a light rain. So, I started it and went up the road at a low speed with with the brakes on lightly to rub off the rust.

All was well and then I was going down. I know what happened but I am not sure why. The front wheel locked up and down I went. I looked at the road but I could not see a slick spot or any gravel. The most likely explanation is that I grabbed a bit harder than I realized.

The good news-Even though I had no protective gear on, I am, mostly fine. My right hand has the worst of the road rash but even there it is not bad. My pinkie took the majority of it. My left elbow, wrist and knee each have a bit of road rash but I have gotten worse from bicycle wrecks. My left hip may or may not be sore tomorrow. I know for a fact that the left side of my chest is going to be bad tomorrow. I have whacked my ribs several times over the years and I know the signs of future pain well. I lucked out and did not hit my head or jerk my neck. Oh yeah, I already had a doctor appointment scheduled for tomorrow so if the pain is bad, I might ask for some drugs.

The bad news- My left side crank cover is toast (I have a set of engine guards in the shed waiting to be installed :X). My left passenger peg is gone. The shifter peg is gone. The left side of the fairing is scratched pretty good. The left rear blinker is cracked but the front one is fine because I have the kind that are flush with the fairing.

I consider this a conversion experience. I wear a helmet nearly all of the time. I wear a jacket (leather in winter, Mesh in summer) and gloves most of the time. Nothing like a low speed skid on the pavement to wake me up to reality. I have no plans to become an ATGATT preacher (I am too much of a "to each his own" type) but I have become an ATGATT practitioner. Pain is a great motivator. And, after the physical pain is done, the financial pain of replacing the crank cover and shifter lever will hit me (not sure if I will replace the passenger peg and I was planning to go naked anyway).

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I am glad you were not more seriously hurt.

Stuff happens. Sorry about the bike getting messed up.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Andy, First off glad that you were not seriously hurt:)

The bike will get fixed just take your time and use this as a reminder to yourself;)

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

I always feel bad when I hear of a bike going down. I am always thankful when the owner is OK. Bike parts can be replaced.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Sorry about the bike, but happy about you. Bike parts are replaceable, human parts, not so much.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Richardrwg wrote:
Sorry about the bike, but happy about you. Bike parts are replaceable, human parts, not so much.
And, I must say, I am particularly fond of the parts that are attached to me.

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes. I just had to tell someone.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
imported post

I am so sorry to hear you laid it down, but am glad you are ok for the most part.

Every one should remember that there are two kind of riders, them that have went down & them that will go down sometime.

I am on the first list, three times in 50 years of riding. My first time I was about 15 and had a Honda 70 trail bike. It was a full sized bike about the same size as a 125. I had just got my learners permit that in California allows a rider to drive a motorcycle in daylight with no passenger on any road or hwy other than a fwy.

I was headed to the canyon (Tijuana) where the girls used to sunbath and I went there as much as I could as any teen who knew about it did as well. As I went up the main road I was going to stop and get a soda pop to take with me from the market. I pulled into the parking lot that was sloped toward the street and was going to park headed away from the store front. As I turned around in the parking stall I did not think about the large black patch of oil and grease that was covering the ground as I eased out on the clutch and the bike spun out from under me and thru me to the ground. That was the most stupid thing I ever did on a bike. I had just started to learn about riding and my young age were to blame as I did not know that a trail bike with its knobby tire would slip like that. I learned fast. this was the first fall and the first scratch on my new bike. the scratch hurt more than the fall as my mother took the bike away from me for two months for hurting my bike as she was worried about me getting hurt. Ahh what days those were, nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

I am glad to hear your not hurt seriously . The bike can be repaired easier then you . I will offer a warm welcome to the group who admit to being down . Its hard to hang out with a finer bunch of folks .:action:

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Andy, I agree with everyone's sentiment. Hate to see the bike scuffed up, but glad you came out of it with only minor scuffs yourself.

You've joined a not-so-exclusive club. There are those who have dropped their Wing, and those who will.

Welcome, Brother of the Napping Goldwing!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,708 Posts
imported post

Andy, sorry to hear of your down experience.

They are not fun, no matter how slow they might be.

Scratched skin is still broken skin. Fortunately, you are okay. The bike will be again too.

Just take your time, and that ATGATT attitude is why I am still here, after my off experience.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

Sorry to here about the miss hap ANDYB, but there is always a bright side and in this case you were alone (luckily thepartner was not on the bike). Hope you feel better soon.:waving:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Itoo hate to have to read of anyone coming off their bikes and of damage done, but the up side is that if we are reading the posts then they are usually well enough to be up and riding again.

Hope the aches and pains soon wear off and the bike is quicky fixed so you are riding again real soon. :waving::clapper::waving:

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Ditto to the Glad youyr not hurt andy.

I have been working on my bike for months getting it ready. It still hicups at low rpm . so I have tried to take her around the block a few times. Wouldnt you know the day I go around the block without a helmet, someone forgot there ewas a stop sign and it was either swerve and maybe go down or broadside an suv which would have sent me over the bars. i thought i d had a better chance swerving. I did and manage to get out of the situation without a scratch.
I could go ahead and blame that guy for not observing but after a few drinks the realization was that My mind was not ready for the rode. I took it lightly that I was just going around the block. I will never let my guard down again.
Andy as we all should, get into a mode when jumping on that horse. If not fully focused then jump off and live to ride another day.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
Andy, I agree with everyone's sentiment. Hate to see the bike scuffed up, but glad you came out of it with only minor scuffs yourself.

You've joined a not-so-exclusive club. There are those who have dropped their Wing, and those who will.

Welcome, Brother of the Napping Goldwing!
As much as I love to be a part of something, I did not drop my wing, I dropped my Bandit. I did not make that clear in the first post.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

AndyB wrote:
As much as I love to be a part of something, I did not drop my wing, I dropped my Bandit. I did not make that clear in the first post.
Phew!!! That's alright then!!!!:shock::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

i had a 1200 bandit in 2007 i had it for three months, i dropped it myself twice because of the front brake, only on my brothers gravel driveway, that front brake was lethal, i had the back wheel in the air a few times because it was that keen, the wife wouldnt get on it or go anywhere on it so i sold it just to please her

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

AndyB wrote:
Well that does explain the crank cover (which I took to mean valve cover) and how you got the shifter peg without ripping the head clear off, now doesn't it? :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear your OK, I'm a menber of the downed club. Several years ago layed my Intruder down in the middle of a wet intersection. Still have the helmet and leather jacket I was wearing. I pull out the helmet and use it on occasion, always look at the scratches on the right side and thank the good Lord for only allowing a broken collar bone for my mishap.

For all that are getting out and riding as the weather allows:

RIDE SAFE and be extra VIGALANT out there.

I'll be back out as soon as the doctor clears my to ride.......

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

93Wing wrote:
I'll be back out as soon as the doctor clears my to ride.......
Hope that happens for you real soon. I had a check up scheduled for yesterday and when I told my doctor about my accident she just looked at me like I was crazy and told me to be careful.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.