Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Up on repaceing my new timing belts I neew to replace the water in the raidaor Caint reach the R-cap, on the thing >>Why do honda hide it ?? the resavor cap is easy to reach but not the Radior cap any help out their ???dfwbiker

Attachments

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. :waving:

When you get there, make sure you don't use water!!. Use a silicate free coolant, or you'll have water pump problems (impeller) in short order!

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Why are you going all the way to the radiator cap? Fill the reservoir and run it up and down in temp a few times. It should "burp" itself just fine.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

I don't know why Honda "hid" it, but it is not too hard to take the seat and faux tank off... I recommend to do it that way for a complete filling. I think there would be a chance of overheating the engine if you didn't do that as otherwise the first "burp" would be with nothing in the system..

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I agree with Jim. Always fill the rad 1st to burp, then the reserve tank.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Any suggeston`s after instslling new belts I drain the radiator and now to get to the cap to refeild is impossable any suggestion`s can help ..dfwbiker

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks to all I tried filling the resivor and waiting on the burp However I think removing the faux tank is the best way to go , The belts were still great after 28 years and 43,000 miles as well as the idelier berrings belt tentner

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

I agree ....remove the false tank and refill the rad that way and as stated use silicate free coolant only

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

#1, Welcome to the site.

#2, Hopefully - One of the moderators can move this from the EVENTS forum to the TECHNICAL forum

#3, Easiest way to get to the radiator cap is to remove the faux gas tank cover. Two screws in the lower front (if you have a fairing, there should be a notch where a long phillips screw driver will slide through to get to these screws) and two more under the seat (which may also have to be removed). I'll check for pictures and try to get them posted.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

dfwbiker wrote:
Thanks to all I tried filling the resivor and waiting on the burp However I think removing the faux tank is the best way to go , The belts were still great after 28 years and 43,000 miles as well as the idelier berrings belt tentner
The belts are NOT still great after 28 years and 43,000 miles.

The thing about timing belts is, unlike serpentine drive belts, they don't stretch. At all. That's by design - if they stretched, the timing of the engine would be off. So they embed fiberglass fibers inside the belt lengthwise, to prevent the belt from stretching.

As a result, the belts don't crack and wear like regular drive belts. The wear is on the INSIDE, where you can't see it.

A timing belt that is good for another 50,000 miles can, and often does, look like a belt that will fail the next time you start the engine.

There is NO way to check the condition of the belts by inspection. If the belts are in fact 28 years old and have 43,000 miles on them, it is WAY PAST time to change them.

If it was my bike, I would not even chance starting the engine again until I changed the belts. That's just me, you can do as you see fit.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

I wondered about the belts as did GSMasLean. I re-read the first post and it seems like he had changed them. Then he said in a later post that the belts still looked good after 28 years. So if they have been changed, great. If not take GS advice and change them .....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.