Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

We have tried recently to purchase some after market add-on's and many of the item descriptions in the catalogstate "notfor air bag models". example: front fender extender, rotor covers, aero head marker lights, etc.

Does it really affect the air bag operation or is it just to reduce their liability?

We spoke to a salesman for the product and he is the one who suggested the liability...that the parts actually DO fit and he cannot see why they would affect the airbag function. 1800 Owners Manual only says not to put anything on the front forks.

Anybody know for sure?

Thanks, Gary

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

:waving:

The airbag has 4 sensors on the front forks that sense a change in speed, such as in a crash they sense the extreme and quick deceleration and deploy the airbag. All this is controlled by its own ECU or module if you will.

The installation of front rotor covers covers up the sensors and as they are covered up , they cannot sense any change in speed and therefor the airbag will not deploy correctly. So no rotor covers defeat the intent of the system.

If and when you see a caution not to install a particular device on the front forks , or you read not to install anything on the front forks per the Honda Manual it is best to heed the warning. All the warnings have a reason and are there for your safety and the proper operation of the airbag system. It has nothing to do with liability or self protection or smothered mushrooms expelled by knowledgeable sales people. :shock::D

If it makes you feel any better, next front tire change my rotor covers are coming off and staying off. I cannot visually check the front axle nut or the front brake system with them on. I think they are a bad idea anyway, mine are coming off and some lucky person can win them at one of the club meeting raffles.

Kit

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Kit,

I appreciate the information you provided and will take your advice.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

I've run into the sameproblem attempting to purchase certain items for my bike.Concerning the front fender extension, I ordered the long one from Wingstuff becausetheir advertisementdid not indicate that it would not work on the airbag model. When the product arrived, right there on the package it said "not for airbag models." I called Wingstuff and they contacted the manufacturer. The manufacturer reported that the brackets used to mount the longer front fender extensions will interfere withan airbag sensor somewhere in the mount, so they shouldn't be used.

I returned the product but I am still waiting for someone to properlyengineer alonger fender extension for the 1800 airbag.There are some shorter fender extensions out there that will work,but I personally don't like the way they look. Aggravates the heck out of me...:X

DeDubya :18white:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

DeDubya wrote:
I've run into the sameproblem attempting to purchase certain items for my bike.Concerning the front fender extension, I ordered the long one from Wingstuff becausetheir advertisementdid not indicate that it would not work on the airbag model. When the product arrived, right there on the package it said "not for airbag models." I called Wingstuff and they contacted the manufacturer. The manufacturer reported that the brackets used to mount the longer front fender extensions will interfere withan airbag sensor somewhere in the mount, so they shouldn't be used.

I returned the product but I am still waiting for someone to properlyengineer alonger fender extension for the 1800 airbag.There are some shorter fender extensions out there that will work,but I personally don't like the way they look. Aggravates the heck out of me...:X

DeDubya :18white:
The long fender extensions have two support arms, that run up inside the fender , and you are required to tap the threads on one of the upper brackets for the fender on through the fender. The way it then secures interferes with the support bracket on the bike wheel, and gets into the problem of repositioning the (1) sensor for the airbag.

There is a long fender extension available for the airbag model, not exactly sure how it mounts, I will pay more attention the next time I am over at the Sumter Shop. I will find out all the particulars on the fender extensions for the airbag models. They are used to me pestering them about something, so I will find out. May be a couple weeks before I go over there again, is quite a hike from my house.

Kit

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I really wish Honda would fully explain these problem. I just took my bike to the Honda shop and asked four different mechanics about it...They had no idea...

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

Thanks Kit. I'll wait to hear from ya.

DeDub :18white:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.