Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

looks sweet man nice on a road trip you can stash your sleepin bag or a small bag on it nothin too heavy tho i had one on my 1st wing and whoever installed it did a piss poor job and the trunk lid was all cracked beyond repair

same thing goes for the saddle bag chrome thingies

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
looks sweet man nice on a road trip you can stash your sleepin bag or a small bag on it nothin too heavy tho i had one on my 1st wing and whoever installed it did a piss poor job and the trunk lid was all cracked beyond repair

same thing goes for the saddle bag chrome thingies
Precisely why I put the reinforcements in the inside of the lid before I installed it.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

i used a piece of flat plate steel 1/16 in or there abouts[tractor supply] bent it to fit the lid it worked good glues down real nice and i didn't have to dodge my wife. but yours looks nice. probably could use a flat piece of plexie glass and just heat it up and bend it to fit the lid? i guess i should have took pics too. nice job and blow by blow.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

skoto1 wrote:
i used a piece of flat plate steel 1/16 in or there abouts[tractor supply] bent it to fit the lid it worked good glues down real nice and i didn't have to dodge my wife. but yours looks nice. probably could use a flat piece of plexie glass and just heat it up? i guess i should have took pics too. nice job and blow by blow.
I thought about using steel, and plexiglass might also work, but I really wanted to do more than just reinforce the lid - I wanted to transfer some of the load down the sides of the lid. An in order to do that, I had to have it completely bonded to the existing lid all the way down the side - and the only way to do that is to use another piece of ABS.

It also made the lid noticeably more rigid as well.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

ThFireman wrote:
Hey!! Charlotte Pipe!! I worked there for a short time before I became normal.....

Nice work! Looks great.
I happened to notice while I was working on cutting the pipe, that the soil stack in my house is also ABS from Charlotte Pipe. Funny the things you notice.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

Great post GS! I did the same for my trunk lid. It had started to develop hairline cracks where the rack was mounted. So I took an oldmarine typebattery box that I had laying around. As far as I could tell it was made of ABS and the thickness was around 3/8ths of an inch. I cut out the pieces to fit the inside of the trunk, heated them with a 500w halogen shop light until they were soft and then formed them to the trunk. After they cooled I used the ABS glue to bond them and then drilled the holes for my rack. I tested it this summer when we loaded up for a week long trip out to Oregon and back. I believe the bag I hadstrapped to the rack weighed in at close to 20 lbs, but I had no problem due to the fix I had made.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
imported post

You really know how to think things out. This is pretty much the best "fix" I have seen or thought of. I too have had 2 1500's with racks and they both "spider" in the mounting area's. Your idea is so good that this winter I will reinforce my lid as you so expertly pointed out. Very nice!! and thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Does anyone use a rack on an 1800? I used the one on my 1200 all the time. I checked into one for the 1800 and the load limit (for the rack) was 1 pound. I couldn't see drilling holes in my bike for 1 pound.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

As I have had more than a few reservations about adding a trunk rack to my GL1500...

I read your article very carefully... and have decided: now here's a guy that knows what he's doing... understands a thing or two about chemistry and thermoforming... has the imagination and manual skills to make an exceptionally strong luggage rack installation from commonly available materials. Not to mention taking the pics... formatting those and organizing and uploading it all into a very digestible tutorial which should transfer across most wing models. Awesome job!

GSMacLean... I salute you, sir!

Saaa-lute!

Charlotte Pipe! Used to live in Charlotte... the pipe company there started as a foundry... there is cast pipe all over this country from Charlotte... they converted to PVC and extruded plastics in the 60's. There used to be a cool Irish Pub uptown, close to the Carolina Panthers practice fields named Hartigans... which was housed in one of the old Charlotte Pipe foundry shops... Aaaahhh... memories!

I have a thing for castings, especially... Manhole Covers.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

us385south wrote:
As I have had more than a few reservations about adding a trunk rack to my GL1500...

I read your article very carefully... and have decided: now here's a guy that knows what he's doing... understands a thing or two about chemistry and thermoforming... has the imagination and manual skills to make an exceptionally strong luggage rack installation from commonly available materials. Not to mention taking the pics... formatting those and organizing and uploading it all into a very digestible tutorial which should transfer across most wing models. Awesome job!

GSMacLean... I salute you, sir!

Saaa-lute!

Charlotte Pipe! Used to live in Charlotte... the pipe company there started as a foundry... there is cast pipe all over this country from Charlotte... they converted to PVC and extruded plastics in the 60's. There used to be a cool Irish Pub uptown, close to the Carolina Panthers practice fields named Hartigans... which was housed in one of the old Charlotte Pipe foundry shops... Aaaahhh... memories!

I have a thing for castings, especially... Manhole Covers.
Well thank you for the very kind words!

I had a look through your manhole covers. Absolutely loved them! You should create a coffee-table book....

Are they made with sand castings? I saw a Dirty Jobs show where they showed how they cast garage-floor cast-iron drains, and I was amazed at how much work went into creating those little things.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Everyone keep in mind that even light weight items tied to the rack can promote cracking if it is getting constant buffeting from the wind. Kinda like grabbing the rack and shaking it for a long time. It will start to cause fatigue. I have the repairs to prove it.

John

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

This it GREAT!!!
Good Job.
Just what we need, more how to, DIY, with great pictures ( worth a Thousand word ).
Keep them coming WINGERS.
Skip20

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.