Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A nice afternoon project is adding a Cigarette Lighter Socket to a GL1500. I put mine inside the left hand fairing pocket. I also added a hard-wired plug for my Garmin Nuvi GPS at the same time. Thought I'd share the process...
First get a good quality cig lighter. I got mine at a marine shop, though I believe Walmart carries them as well:

Next open the fuse box on the back left side of the Goldwing. Remove the two side panels to gain access. Crimp ring terminals on the end of some quality wire (again I used marine wire) and screw to the accessory terminal at the top of the fuse box. Note that the photo shows the wire exiting the fuse box at the top, but in reality, I had to rotate the two wires 90 degrees to exit from the side, and cut small slots in the sides of the fuse box cover for the wires to exit.

Next remove the Left side fairing pocket. There is plenty of room inside the fairing around the pocket. Run the wire from the fuse box to the fairing pocket area. Mount the cig lighter socket on the front face of the pocket. Cut a 1" hole in the plastic to do so.

Then, I fastened the hard-wired Nuvi adapter to the outside front of the pocket with two sided tape. Then I used a crimp tool to put both the Nuvi adapter wires and the wires to the fuse box into the cig lighter terminals that came with the cig lighter.

Then reassemble everything and voila! Cig lighter and Nuvi power!

Fini! One word of warning. The fuse on the accessory terminals is 5a. The Nuvi requires perhaps a quarter amp, so no problem. But don't plug in any heavy power user to the cig lighter socket, or it'll blow the fuse. This cig lighter will be both fused and switched by the ignition switch.

Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

nice job and thanks for sharing it with everyone:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
imported post

Nice job however I would have powered it different as such........

Power the cigarette lighter socket directly (fused) from the battery (through the relay). Trigger the relay from the 5-amp accessory terminal. Now you are not limited to a 5-amp output on the cigarette lighter socket. With this set-up, you have more flexibility relating to use of the cigarette lighter socket. You could even use it to power an air pump for pumping up tires etc. There will only be power when the ignition switch is on.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Nice.. (exactly where I put mine..:waving:).. I powered mine (fused) directly to the battery for full time....another nice advantage to that it that I have a battery tender/charger wired with a male plug.. I just plug it in(and no panels to play with..)

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
imported post

Thanks. Mine is similar but the receptacle hangs loose on the box and takes up too much space. I think I'll make the change. I keep mine live so I don't lose power to the GPS.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

I also like the idea of mounting the plug outside the front wall of the compartment. You could easily convert the outlet to feed thru a relay directly off the battery if you ever need more amps.

BTW--I am not assuming anything--just asking. Is that nail polish on the thumb of the hand in the pic??:baffled:

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hawker22 wrote:
BTW--I am not assuming anything--just asking. Is that nail polish on the thumb of the hand in the pic??:baffled:
Sure is nail polish on the thumb. That's my wife's hand--she helped a lot with the install.

Lots of good ideas, including running wire via relay direct to battery and trigger to accessory, if you want it switched and more than 5a. Or just run direct to battery with a fuse if you want it live all the time. I'm pretty happy with it the way I have it.

Peace and fair winds. Mark.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.