Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to add a curcit for bike to bike communications on a Honda Rebel 250. What I need is a way to jumper off the input side of the existing glass type auto fuse or jumper into the input to the fuse box. Voltage in both places is switched input from the ignition switch.

It might be better to pull the ignition switch and tap into the output side, this line goes directly to the fuse box. If this is a good option, how do I pull the switch? I don't have a manual, only a schematic.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,527 Posts
I'm going to add a curcit for bike to bike communications on a Honda Rebel 250. What I need is a way to jumper off the input side of the existing glass type auto fuse or jumper into the input to the fuse box. Voltage in both places is switched input from the ignition switch.

It might be better to pull the ignition switch and tap into the output side, this line goes directly to the fuse box. If this is a good option, how do I pull the switch? I don't have a manual, only a schematic.

Any ideas?
If I'm not misunderstanding your post, what I've outlined in red is basicly the same thing... I'd just tap off the easiest accessable input wire that you've described, fuse it appropriatly and go from there....

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Don,
Thanks for your input. You are correct, they are the same wire. One end is at the ignition and the other at the input to the fuse box. I'm trying to find the best place to tap in without cutting or splicing original wires. I was in hopes that someone had been there before and could advise.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
Your best bet will be to go into the junction box, just below/behind the headlamp. Two screws and you are in box. You can tap into just about anything there, and you have bullet connectors to tap into.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I had a Rebel 250, '04 model. Good luck getting that junction box and all the wires back together, they are really packed in there. Make sure whatever you tap into has enough capacity to operate whatever you are hooking up. I installed a connector on mine for my Widder heated gloves. I came right off the battery with a completely separate fused/switched lead. I had to install an "off" switch on the headlight, the Rebel's stator did not put out enough current to operate both the gloves and headlight.

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bob,
Very good information. While I have a diagram it does not show junction boxes.

Jerry,
The circuit I'm adding will pull only a small current load. What I need is a source that is not hot all the time (battery load for days or weeks at a time in the garage) and do not want to add another switch. Thanks for the caution, I'll be sure to put it back the way it comes out.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Thanks Bob,
Very good information. While I have a diagram it does not show junction boxes.
Not sure what year your Rebel is but I believe the older ones used the headlight housing for connecting most of the circuits on the bike. My 80's bikes were this way, but my son's 550 Nighthawk used a separate box below the headight (P.I.T.A.!!!). The nice thing about using the headlight bucket is that, as was mentioned, you'll typically have bullet style connectors so you can add what you want without cutting wires.

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry about that SBC, it's a 2009. I don't have the bike here but will look at the junction box later this week or weekend. Thanks to all that responded, you have been a great help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
My suggestion would be to install a relay to power the device and switch the relay with the wire you are tapping into. That way your device runs directly off the battery instead of from the main power feed, so that if there is a problem with the device and it shorts or blows a fuse you don't lose power to the hole bike just to the device.

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
D R -That's one of the best ideas, simple and easy to find. I can place it under the input to the fuse and drive a relay as B W has suggested. This curcit could be removed and the bike back to original condition in a matter of minutes. Now this is my kind of mod! Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I have what I believe is an even better idea.

Forget the wires, and get a pair of SENA SMH-10s.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I don't remember my '04 having a glass fuse. The junction box is behind and below the headlight. There are 2 different Rebel 250s, the '85-'87, and the '96 up. '96 up are the same, other than paint. The '80s models were similar but very different in a lot of ways. For a low current draw connection, I would probably tap right into the headlight low beam hot wire, which you can get to without having to mess with that junction box, or the tail light wire, which you can get to by removing the seat. Both are off when the ignition is off.

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rgbeard,
The SMH-10 is not an option now, a radio interface is on hand and installed. Once power is supplied, family radio service or cb can be used along with music and cell phone inputs. Not bluetooth but can communicate with many other bikes or cars.
jerry,
This '09 has an auto blade type fuse between the battery and the input to the ignition. From the ignition a power lead is sent to the fuse box next to the battery box. This is the location of the 2 glass auto fuses.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.