Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1989 GL1500. Can I somehow hook up a MP3 music player. It hasa AM/FM radio and a cassette player now. What about a CD player.

Thanks;

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

That seems along time to toggle between functions---"takes about a week" Lol!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Derek Hackett wrote:
That seems along time to toggle between functions---"takes about a week" Lol!
Takes that long for the signal to get across the pond!

I did the mod to my radio, works great!

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
imported post

The quick way is to purchase a cassette adapter like the one shown. I purchase the Griffin FM modulator and cut off the plug and wire it to 12V. I keeps the MP3 player charged all the time and to me the sound is good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
imported post

There are also many inexpensive mp3 players which plug into a 12v lighter receptacle. (you have to add this of course)

Just play through your chosen fm station.

My TomTom music player can do the same. Both cheap and EASY!

psu

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

Just a comment-- the cassette adapter is nice if you 1- live in an area with a lot of radio stations or 2- travel a lot. I had XM through an FM modulator and it was a pain when travelling because it would pick up a radio station so I would have to reprogram an FM channel- kind of a pain when riding. At least with the cassette there is no competition for bandwidth.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
imported post

I agree with rpeters above... I also live a very populated area and it's hard to find any open bandwidth on the FM channels... And here, as soon as you get 50 miles away, you have to change it again anyway due to another FM channel popping up locally as you drive...

I modified my radio and installed the aux radio mod per the Bob Anderson article

GL1500 aux input radio mod

If you don't feel like you can do it yourself, send it in to Sierra - the MP3's sound so much better when using this mod as opposed to an FM Modulator or cassette adapter...

Les

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Easiest way to get superior sound is with a hard wired FM transmitter, where there is no interference from other radio stations as in a wireless FM transmitter, better sound quality, no dangling wires and tape deck longevity than one of those cassette tapeadapters and far less expensive/quicker thanremoving and sending in your radio to Sierra.

I use an Audiovox FMM100A Car FM-RF Modulator which is fairly straight forward and easy to install. Just wire it up, hook your antenna in the back of it, then tune your radio to your choice of the two available frequencies offered, flick thetoggle and enjoy.

You can get one delivered to your door for under $43and away you go.

CD players are a thing of the past!, as a MP3 player holds thousands of songs, is smaller and doesn't 'skip'!

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
imported post

Well, I have to disagree with Dusty's assessment of hardwired modulators as I have personally suffered from interference even using a hard wired FM modulator...

Now, to be fair, I do live in a large urban area (near Chicago)with many, many FM transmitters in the locale and I'm not saying that it wouldn't work depending on your location... I'm just telling you of my own experience... The modulator I used I purchased from Crutchfield, so it was a pretty decent device but I still experienced interference in certain areas...

I do agree with Dusty that a hard wired modulator is superior to a wireless modulator but I still think your best bet is to do the aux mod on your GL1500 radio and go that way but this is just my opinion...

Les

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

I'm with Dusty.. Iuse a hardwired Audiovox FM modulator on my 1500 with no issues... I suppose if you are tuned close to a station frequency and drive by their broadcast tower it might be an issue.. but in the 4 years it has beenused,I haven't heard any interference...(not Chicago, butyes, Los Angeles..)

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Daryl Martel wrote:
Or, you could install an actual car stereo in your bike. ...
How does the intercom work, Daryl??

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

dadztoy wrote:
Well, I have to disagree with Dusty's assessment of hardwired modulators as I have personally suffered from interference even using a hard wired FM modulator...

Now, to be fair, I do live in a large urban area (near Chicago)with many, many FM transmitters in the locale and I'm not saying that it wouldn't work depending on your location... I'm just telling you of my own experience... The modulator I used I purchased from Crutchfield, so it was a pretty decent device but I still experienced interference in certain areas...

I do agree with Dusty that a hard wired modulator is superior to a wireless modulator but I still think your best bet is to do the aux mod on your GL1500 radio and go that way but this is just my opinion...

Les

:stumped: I also live near a very large urban centre (Toronto) and while driving through the midst of it and many other large urban centres, have never once had any interference while listening to my MP3 (which is constantly on) through the Audiovox unit. :baffling:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

+1 on Dusty's way to do it. Here is what it looks like if you decide to make it waterproof and include an iPhone as your MP3, GPS, Browser, etc etc....

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

I don't (didn't) use intercom or CB. I listen to speakers. Personal preference I guess. I tried listening thru helmet speakers, and tried earbuds too. ...just found it distracting. Each to their own. For me, the car stereo seemed like the best option, and it's worked well to date, but you're absolutely right in that if you go that route, you lose the CB & intercom functionality. This is why I bypassed the stock wiring harness, and didn't mod it so I could easily go back to the stock stereo if I or a subsequent owner preferred that.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
imported post

Well, dunno Dusty - just passing along my experience... All I can say is I have been extremely satisfied with aux mod on my radio... My GPS/Bluetooth is also fully integrated thru this mod and my GPS plays it's MP3 tunes thru the mod too - awesome sound!!!:applause: Er, well as awesome as it's gonna get thru a 1500 sound system...

Les

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

Hi Steve G
I have done both modification to my radio to allow my Iphone and samsung galaxy tablet access through the radio

If I had a choice I wished I did the last modification
It was so simple and with the dummy cassette left in the radio, I can switch from Iphone to radio using the cassette/radio switch.

I have attached the information below, very easy to do.
http://www.rangeweb.net/~nperry/Goldwing/Aux input 2.htm

good luck:congrats:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.