Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Just a quick note. I wanted to be able to play MP3s, preferably through my phone, on my GL1500SE.

It is equipped with radio/tape player & CB thingie. I try not to listen to the radio, all my tapes are from my teens (a while ago...) and I don't need to talk to people on CB* + the unit wasn't working.

Having read this handy thread, I popped into my local motorfactor. They would sell me an FM-modulator, it'd take a week to arrive and cost £40 for one with a manual switch and £60 for an automatic version :shock::shock:

Onto the EviLBay and picked up this for a tenner, delivered in two days. Down to the pound shop for a 2m RCA - 3.5mm jack plug leadand sorted.

This unit is an automatic one - as soon as it gets a signal from the inputs it switches on. there is a wire for "remote on" - seems to be if you're using some kind of device that has an "I'm alive!" output, you could hook up that.

I put the unit in bascially the same place as on Rudy's page, with a bit of rubber matting underneath.

Removed and cut out a couple of other wires that were running from the "Aux" out at the top of the fuse panel and wired in the pos & neg from the unit. (one of the 'odd' wires seemed to be a feed to the CB and another was powering the "aux" someone had placed, most helpfully, under the left pannier. One or other of them had shorted and blown the aux fuse:X)

The aerial leads went under the bar and fitted into the sockets ok. Ran the input lead up to the left hand pocket and through a handy hole. Cable tied loose wires up and tested in. The unit has some DIP switches to set what FM channel it transmits on and it took some fiddling to get a good station. Not helped by my Wing having a broken LCD screen so it's hard to tell where you're tuning to :?

Once set up it all seems fine. My phone has a remote control section on the "output" lead, so I just dangled that bit out of the pocket. Riding with it was OK - best to listen to something quite loud LOL

Hope this helps someone. I'm not an expert but I know one end of a spanner from t'other. It really didn't take long apart from the usual time getting pannels on/off.

The JVC I used has it's own external 3A fuse, which is one less worry - at the moment it's the only thing on the aux fuse, but I'm looking to re-wire all the lights and doowhackeys previous owners have /added - most of them on permanent live feeds - you don't have a facepalm smiley so I'll link to a double - it's already caused me grief: I knocked the switch for the flashing green KIT style light on the front, which flattened the battery, which set the alarm going continously, which then got 'spiked' when I put the van battery on it to try & shut the damn thing up, so I had to strip the bike to find the alarm to reset it, discovering the fairing screw head covers had been attached with sillicon sealant!

Anyway, enough from me, unless anyone wants to know more...

(*I don't know anyone in the UK who has CB except for a few off-roaders. I can't really respond to a request for a tow out of the bomb-hole...)

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

I also wanted to connectan ipod touch, to my 98 GL1500 SE. Went to thelocal motor factors and picked up the only FM modulator they had. Its a VEBA, modelAVFM-MOD01 hard wired version.

Fitted in a matter of 10 mins, in the left fairing, under thepocket, antenna connection already there, so it was only a matter of plugging it in.I already had an ignition supply wired to an auxpower socket, which i shared.

Worked straight away, but major problems with the volume, low on most tracks, anybody got any ideas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.