Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 83 Interstate came with a nearly complete Clarion II system. It is only missing the Cassette Deck. Last night I soldered new momentary switches into the FM controller and now everything works fine. Since I made that work, I am now more interested in keeping the system instead of selling it and replacing it with something new. Is it possible to wire in a MP3 adapter to the system? In particular, I was wondering if I found an MP3-> DIN plug adapter, could I just plug it into the cassette deck part of the component adapter? Or, am I just asking for trouble?

Thanks,
Andy

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the info. I will look into the system you are using.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I'm thinking about doing the same thing with the Clarion 2 system I'm fixing to install on my 82I. Since I don't need or want the cassette player it would be nice to use it's input on the distribution box for an aux input.

A local electronics supply store has din plug connector kits that you can wire as needed. The thing is knowing which input pin for the cassette player does what.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

What a coincidence. I was pondering the same today. I was about to go outside and pull my radio to see if the components look alike.
It looks like $20 of stuff should be able to cover it with some soldering experience.

We need to get some pics up here.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
What a coincidence. I was pondering the same today. I was about to go outside and pull my radio to see if the components look alike.
It looks like $20 of stuff should be able to cover it with some soldering experience.

Your components are totally different from the Clarion 2 system. The radio, cassette player and intercom is a more intergrated system on your 1200. It has a headset junction box only that has limited hookups compared to the distribution box on the 1100's. Get the install manaul for the 1200 audio system.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
muaymendez1 wrote:

Your components are totally different from the Clarion 2 system. The radio, cassette player and intercom is a more intergrated system on your 1200. It has a headset junction box only that has limited hookups compared to the distribution box on the 1100's. If you figure anything out, let me know. I have to travel for work this week so I won't have a chance to check on anything.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

I wanted to listen to my i-pod or MP3 player while riding. I added a 12V outlet in the fairing glove compartment and stuck an FM modulator in it. It is connected to my MP3 or i-pod which is in the left fairing compartment.

Full audio options without bastardizing the original electronics.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Would this cable running from an MP3 player to the unused cassette input on the component terminal allow the MP3 player to be played over the system? I found several of these for sale on EBAY UK cable . It has a 3.5 mm jack on one end and a 5 pin DIN connection on the other.

javascript:ShowPopUp('info%5f112%2ehtml',500,450);

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Well. I opened up my radio and everything seems to be there. its looks feasible . 2 problems. The relay will not have much rom once installed. 2nd. i am lucky I pulled the radio. i knew the tape deck wouldnt work but wasnt sure why till today.
My circuit board was fried. ill take some pics to post.I had 3 burnt holes and many wires burnt. DOnt know what could have caused this, but if in doubt, it only takes 4 screws to be able to view the circuit board.
Its time for an aftermarket radio for me.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

AndyB wrote:
Would this cable running from an MP3 player to the unused cassette input on the component terminal allow the MP3 player to be played over the system? I found several of these for sale on EBAY UK cable . It has a 3.5 mm jack on one end and a 5 pin DIN connection on the other.

Nice find!!! Just wondering myself now. You would need the version with the locking latch though, not this one with the locking ring, to fit the Clarion 2 system.
javascript:ShowPopUp('info%5f112%2ehtml',500,450);

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

If no one can answer this definitively in the next few days, I will bite the bullet and order one myself. I have to travel this week and will not be able to order it until next week though. If this did work, it would be fantastic.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Cruising Google for these, it seems most of them are found in the UK or Hong Kong. Can't seem to find a dealer for them in the US.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I am finding the same. Perhaps they were more common over there. I guess Honda imported technology common to the Asian market for the early stereos.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Well, the 5-pin din is a standard so I'd almost bet that cable would work with any device that has a 3.5 mini jack on it. Just might even work with the jack adapter I have for my cell phone. Now that would be cool!!!

I'd also bet that no matter which plug you used on the distribution box with the exception of the intercom everything would still play through the speakers.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

AndyB wrote:
If no one can answer this definitively in the next few days, I will bite the bullet and order one myself. I have to travel this week and will not be able to order it until next week though. If this did work, it would be fantastic.
Well,, if you order one and it works then I'm gonna order 10 of them.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

maplewingnut wrote:
I wanted to listen to my i-pod or MP3 player while riding. I added a 12V outlet in the fairing glove compartment and stuck an FM modulator in it. It is connected to my MP3 or i-pod which is in the left fairing compartment.

Full audio options without bastardizing the original electronics.
This too was my path, and it turned out good. I simply have a portable Cd player that plays MP3 CD's but works with Ipod, MP3 player, or what ever. Very inexpensive, and workable. I am in the process of upgrading my factory radio for more wattage, as the standard is a little enemic.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
Have a look at this thread, where I described (with pictures) how I wired my satellite radio directly into my Clarion II. I also plug my MP3 player into it occasionally.
I took a look at that thread anad am impressed on what you did.

Now based on what you did let's see if we can take it a step further. Based on what little I know of the pinouts of the cable ends that plug into the distribution box on the Clarion 2 systems, would not the pinouts be the same for the input channels? Meaning that no matter if it's the radio, cb or cassette player, the pins on the connector would be the same for the 2 channels of input(with the exception of the mic inputs)? I believe they would be since all the outputs go to either the speaker amp or the headsets from the distribution box.

Based on the cable mentioned in the above post, might not it carry the same input channels on the same pins going into the dsitibution box?

I've got extra din cables that I could wire a 3.5 mini plug outo to make the same type of cable, I just need to know which pin on the din plug carries which channel.

Now, on the tips page of the forum they show the pinouts for the 1500/1800 and I'd like to find out if those same pinouts apply to the Clarion 2 system. If so, then that will give me what I need to know.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I had a bit of extra time in the airport today and ordered a cable off of eBay UK. It cost about $8.50 total with shipping. I don't expect it to arrive until next week but I will let everybody know if it works once it gets here.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.