Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I own a 1983 GL1100A. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to tie my .mp3 player into the Clarion II stereo on my bike? I am looking for a way to hard wire it into the system? I currently have an FM transmitter, but I am not pleased with the sound due to the high number of radio stations in my area. I would really like to tie the .mp3 player to the amplifier so I could listen without any noise from other stations.

Thank you in advance for your time!

Kim O. Walker

Attachments

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

There may be a discussion about this in the forum index, I vaguely recall it coming up before.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

speeddemontbn86 wrote:
I did it.... give me a few minutes to find the thread...

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/80139.html
The 5-pin DIN Y-cable is no longer available on ebay? What does it look like, where can I get one? I did a search, but could not find?

Also, the green one is the one leading to the amplifier, correct?

·
Premium Member
136 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
imported post

brianinmaine wrote:
Also, the green one is the one leading to the amplifier, correct?
Correct

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

So the idea is to just run the mp3 player through the amplifier with no volume from the radio. If you have the volume on the radio also, you would hear them both, right? So now I have to make a cool mount for the player on my handlebars somewhere, preferably cheap but sturdy. Anyone do that?

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
imported post

Good velcro. You want it easy to take off in case of bad weather or security.

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
imported post

I had trouble with my clarion 1 through the y cable. The sound level was never loud enough with the MP3, and the regular radio suffered. It would not play regularly. It would cut out and some times would not play at all. I have not had any trouble since I took out the y cable and the radio sounds better. So beware the quality may be lackin on the cable. Jay

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Here is the deal; the DIN plug shown will work okay. but, you need the multi box that come with the intercom, tape player or cb. I pulled the tape player (put in a pocket in place)and used the DIN socket for the Ipod instead.

I had to turn on the radio at the lowest setting volume and turn the volume up on the Ipod.

The downside- Ipod does not charge and selections are manual on the Ipod.

My other Aspencade lost the Clarion TypeII radio. Pulled it out and replaced the unit with a Jenson marine radio. It has a Ipod connection that controls the Ipod through the radio.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
imported post

...or you could simply plug an FM modulator into the cigarette lighter and plug you MP3 into that. Tune radio and Voila! Tunes.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

Since I have only a radio, I added a plug and wire (from an old set of computer speakers) directly to the jumper between the radio and the amp.
pin 3 = white
pin 5 = red
pin 2 = black
pin 4 = yellow
pin 1 = no connection

Like said above, I turn on the radio to no volume, and control volume from the mp3 player. Works fine for me and was free. Thanks for the great idea!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

I use an in line FM modulator that disconnects the feed from the antenna when power is turned on via switch. I feed my Sirius or MP3 through this and have full volume control from the radio. It is easy to install and has great sound with NO interference from broadcast stations.

Wired FM modulator

Here is one of many available.

John

·
Very active member
305 Posts
imported post

i remember seing something about sending your radio in to sierra. you could call them and check it out that way. i know if they are fixing your radio, its said to be around 100. i dont know what it would cost for them to just add an aux input.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.