Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have recently purchased a set of driving lights for my 1985 GL1200 LTD. Is there any info out there on how to wire auxilary lighting into the Honda electrical system. Any info will be a great help. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

My advice is to use a relay. That will take the load off your light switch. It's easy enough to wire them up. Takeyour feed from the accessory terminal and wire it through your relay and a seperate switch. You probably got wiring instructions with the light kit that will help.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Brian: The relay sounds like the way to go. Can I purchase that at any automotive outlet or should I order from Honda?

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

A standard headlight relay will do fine and can be got at any auto shop for a few dollars. Many headlamp/spotlamp kits come supplied with a relay, but it's no biggie getting one yourself.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd want to wire in a switch in series with the relay coil so that I could turn off the aux lights if needed. If you fire up your bike when the battery is down a bit, having the extra load on the system might be more than the charging system can handle. The 1200s (non LTD&SEIs) have less than robust DC power. You only have 300W to play with all told.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

...which is a good reason to go through the Auxiliary, it sort of hints at how much "extra" there is to play with. But- Ive seen large voltage drops at that point, so check it with a voltmeter before going to the trouble to wire in permanently. Seen 1-2 volts lost to the Acc term just with a voltmeter connectes.

Also, connect the drivin lights temporarily at battery to be sure turnign them on doesnt kill the charging system. Would not be fun to go to trouble of a full install only to have the battery die.

Relays are commonly called "Bosch" relays, availiable at many Auto parts or truck stops. 30 Amp contacts and about 1/4 amp coil. Sealed. Get the one with a mounting tab for 1/4" screw and buy a spare, the armature can stick with hard jolts. They might go $10 canadian?

If youre installing additional lights to compensate for having a hard time seeing with the stock headlight, watch for bad wiring or low charging volage (or both) After fixingwiring on my first Aspencade, the stock headlight lit up the roadway much better. Should measure 14.5-14.8 on battery down to engine idle speed of 400 RPM if alls well. Also check voltage right at headlight bulb.

Use at least 16 gauge stranded wire. Light current is Watts / volts = amperes

or 100 Watts / 14.5 volts = 6.89 amp. Fuse should be30% over (?) to handle inrush.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.