Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Im interested in doing things like changing a bunch of my current light bulbs to LEDs, adding fog/driving lights with a fairing mounted control switches, possibly changing the headlamp to something better for use at night time driving, changing the fuel out light bulb for sure to a LED, blinking brake lights/headlights etc...

The question is though, How in the world do I tell what watts/amps I have to play with?

Some things I already know: I know that Amps times volts equals watts.

I know how to solder, follow directions, what a resistor is stuff like that.

Tonight I ran out and using the DC setting on my voltmeter I tested my battery after it had been off for 8ish hours. 13.08

I turned the key to on, without starting: 12.58, and it slowly dropped .01 after every few moments, thats with the radio playing too.

I turned the bike on, and at 1000 rpms idle: 14.something and slowly increasing .01 every few moments.

I increased the rpms to around 2000ish: 15.01 and increasing .01 every few moments.

I know my stator is working, obviously, but where to go from there?

Oh some other things I know: A 55w bulb takes 55 watts. If I install a bulb/led that put out 55w but only actually uses 25w, I get back another 30w.

Hm, Hope i clarified this. Im pretty quick at learning things so even if someone can point me in the right direction, id appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
imported post

Oh and my horn. For some reason, my horn ONLY works when my engine temp gauge reads a little over halfway. Usually it get to the right "spot" when Im sitting at a traffic light. After I start moving and get a little more air cooled it stops...Figured I change it out too

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

You do know that if you change your fuel warning light to LED it will always be lite and that if you change your tail/marker lights to LED the warning light for that will also stay on?

Other than that play and have fun.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

as for the horn, consider a mini air horn, such as the stebel nautilus. Run the power through a relay, so you can use low current at the switch, but run full power to the horn.

My manual says the 1200 charging system was a 360 watt output. I dont know how much of that is headroom, though. However, if you change the 1157's out for led equivalents, you will pick up about 20watts. I believe an 1157 incandescent is about 22watts.

If you change your turn signals to led's, the self cancelling feature will cease to function without load resistors. I personally dont care, so I just changed out the flasher to an led rated flasher and called it good. The old flasher uses resistance to actuate, as does the self cancelling (I believe).

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Oh hm wow dang. Yeah, I need it to tell me /when/ im running out of gas, not tell me alllll the time :p

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

UBarW wrote:
as for the horn, consider a mini air horn, such as the stebel nautilus. Run the power through a relay, so you can use low current at the switch, but run full power to the horn.

My manual says the 1200 charging system was a 360 watt output. I dont know how much of that is headroom, though. However, if you change the 1157's out for led equivalents, you will pick up about 20watts. I believe an 1157 incandescent is about 22watts.

If you change your turn signals to led's, the self cancelling feature will cease to function without load resistors. I personally dont care, so I just changed out the flasher to an led rated flasher and called it good. The old flasher uses resistance to actuate, as does the self cancelling (I believe).
Awesome! Thanks for the information! My self cancels that are equipped now seem to be malfunctioning heh. Ill check out the stebel nautilus for sure!

Also, I too dont really care about the self cancelling anyway, Im pretty good about just hitting the switch off. Thanks again for the helpful information!

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I'd beware of upping the load much, you know the stators seem to go bad fairly often it seems on 1200's and I hear that's a real job to change out, which is why so many people go the poorboy and alternator often.

Going down on the load is always good as long as it does not cause other problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.