Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a Homelink GDO(Garage Door Opener) on my GL1500. I used the hole where the CB was located. It is a simple project, with basic wiring required.
This is the unit that you can get on eBay.

With a some gentle persuasion, the cover can be removed.

These are all the parts, and the blank I made to fit the space. The holes in the blank are where the top cover will snap in.

The area for the buttons needs to be oprned up. A dremel tool would be very useful at this point. I wish I had one. I suggest opening up the holes a little at a time and keep checking for function.

Here is where the unit will be installed into the CB slot. I removed the vent, the left pocket for full access to the space.

The cover is mocked up in its final location. I will have to remove the Tupperware to properly affix the blank into place. There are only 2 wires to this unit. I connected mine so that they are always live. The orange wire is positive.

The final step will be programming your Homelink. I used the following link to program mine.

http://www.overheaddoor.com/garage-door-openers/Pages/homelink-programming-instructions.aspx

Ride Safe,
Rich

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wired it so it's always live. I have a fused wire that runs from the battery to the left pocket. I connected to that for power, and I have a common ground. There is no antenna needed. You use your regular GDO remote to program the Homelink. after it's done, you only need the Homelink.

Ride Safe,
Rich

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally did the permanent attachment of my Homelink GDO. While I had been waiting for an opportunity to tear the bike down, and remove some Tupperware, I was able to fine tune the install. On my first faceplate, I had a large opening for the buttons to function, but it had problems. The cover plate decided to fall off somewhere in the Santa Cruz mountains. I remade the faceplate with the minimal amount of plastic removed. I know many of you will be able to get the holes lined up better than I did.
After I made my new faceplate, and sanded the sides to get it ti fit snugly. I drilled the 4 holes I needed for the buttons and light. I also made 2 narrow slots to hold the cover plate in place.

With the smaller holes in the faceplate, I had to create spacers for the buttons. I cut up a mechanical pencil eraser to use as the spacers. You may need to make the eraser a bit narrower to fit in the holes without binding up. I did that by sanding the eraser until it fit in without binding. When you cut your spacers, make them the same thickness as the ABS you are using.
I attached the spacers to the buttons with some silicone sealant.

My next step was to attach the faceplate to the bike. . I sanded the paint away from all the areas that I would be using the ABS adhesive. You need to be very careful when you glue the parts together. The ABS adhesive will eat any of the surface paint it comes in contact with. I sealed the edges of mine with Hot Glue. I ran the Hot Glue around the edges of the faceplate and the shelter. It filled the gaps enough to prevent any leakage. I don’t have a Hot Glue gun, but I do have a propane torch to heat the glue before I smeared it on. After everything cures, the hot glue removes easily, and cleanly.

On the backside, I mixed the adhesive with some of my ABS shavings to give it some extra strength. I used that mixture to build up the edges, and the fix the 1 tab that was broken. After it cures for at least 24 hours, I sanded down the area that the Homelink was being placed.

The final step was to trim a little bit of the plastic inside the shelter so that the power connection would fit better. I took out a little plastic of the shelter, and some tabs off of the power connector.

The final results are a built in GDO that looks like it was supposed to be there.
Enjoy, and ride safe.

Rich

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I looked at the Flashtopass, but by adding the homelink, I can control multiple doors, and lighting. I don't have multiple doors, and lights at this time, I can control them when I have them.

Rich

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Hello Rich, I really enjoyed the info on the GDO. I have looked at the flashtopass but thats buying something more. These units can be had cheaply on ebay. I dont have the cb on my Wing either. Looks like a nice wintertime project for me, plus you have the capability of controlling multiple doors.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A couple of things I learned after living with it so far.

For the 3 small spacers, use something more solid, and the same thickness as your material. Erasers shrink and dry out.

Double stick tape to hold the unit in place. I'm working on a better option. It gets hot inside the fairing, and it's being pressed on a lot.

Ride Safe,
Rich

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,867 Posts
Just curious, do you think that will work on the ancient Garage door openers?
Mine is at least 20 years old. Uses the old square clunky looking opener with the slide switches in the back of it.

·
Nobody You Know
277 Posts
Just curious, do you think that will work on the ancient Garage door openers?
Mine is at least 20 years old. Uses the old square clunky looking opener with the slide switches in the back of it.
For my 'ancient' openers, I bought the little key chain sized remotes and put them on the key rings of my motorcycles, riding mower, and gator - all of which share the garage with two cars. Convenient, inexpensive, and no drilling required!

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,867 Posts
that is my plan also, both of my shop openers are broken, so right now, it don't matter, but I would like to fix them. Probably cheaper to get a couple of new ones.

·
Premium Member
'95 Aspy
1,131 Posts
Another aproach

I'm trying to help, so let me say that at my home and at work I have set a GDO long ago; while in my car I have the CR clipped to the sunshade, it's easy to reach and operate, but in the bike is different, it bugs me to be trying to reach the CR, so here is what I did.
The CR is tucked behind the left front pocket, attached with a piece of velcro. I opened it and solder two wires in parallel to the original pushbutton, run them around the triple tree to the right grip next to the throttle, fitted two small pushbuttons in an aluminum bracket held in place by one screw. The pixs attached shows the work.
Now I can command two GDO at once in a way that my hands never leaves the handlebar.
Mario

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.