Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So, I'm changing out my incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs for the tail lights. Tons of choices out there and I want to try and make the right choice. I've purchased LED's before off Ebay and the quality and manufacture was....well....horrible. They lasted a short time and just fell apart. So, for right now I have the old incandescent bulbs.

Anyhow, I wrote an email to Customer Service at superbrightleds.com and asked what would be the best route to take.
Reply was the following:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&category=CAR&Page2Disp=%2Fpt%2FBA15-SMD.html

They are all around bulbs at $25 a pop.

Then, browsing the site I see right angle bulbs as well. Wondering if those, since they appear to direct all the light in one direction, would work also, better, maybe?

Just looking for some suggestions and advice.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

LEDs are very 'directional' meaning you need the ones that have LEDs wrapped around the sides of the bulbs, as in the link you provided. Those ones will 'bounce' the light off of the reflectors on the inside of the housing, giving you much more light overall! You want to be seen, as well as cutting down your power draw.

The other ones will be rather 'weak' in comparrison. Go with the ones in your link.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

I'm surprized they didn't recommend this bad boy:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2F1157-R19W6_motorcycle_bulb.htm

The advantage here is that it points red LEDs out through the tail lens and white thru the clear plate lens. I've switched all my bikes to use this bulb.

Now, if your tail light isn't also your license light or your bulb base isn't 1157, then maybe this bulb indeedisn't for you.

NOTE: You want to match the LED color to the lens color for best results. SBL has a discussion on that too.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/images/products/car/white-red_comparison.jpg

I'm not affiliated with SBL, just a satisfied customer.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

HF has several 12v LeD units. I've used the rectangular trailer light units. You can take them apart and split the unit up into different sizes if you need to.

I've used superbrightleds strip lights for the headlight brows

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Here is another sight in the U.S. May be a little cheaper for you. Be sure you know the height of the fixture, or the length of your present bulbs.

http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm

Look at the 4th, 8th, and 9th lights on the page for 1157 style. I had no idea the prices had gone up so much in the last few years. I went with all led for the tail/stop lights and I'm sure I paid less than $25 for all four lamps combined... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

YIKES!

Talk about sticker shock here LOL

I was thinking of going to LED myself, but I can't see paying that much per bulb myself. Maybe around $5 a bulb I'd pay, but they lose me at anywhere from $15 and up!

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

I hear ya Chromo!

I went with LEDs on my Goldwing 'cuz of the sidecar. I wanted to conserve every watt I could. For the CB's, their power generation systems are boderline at best. If fact, at idle, the 550 actually DRAINS the battery!

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Shooter wrote:
Here is another sight in the U.S. May be a little cheaper for you. Be sure you know the height of the fixture, or the length of your present bulbs.

http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm

Look at the 4th, 8th, and 9th lights on the page for 1157 style. I had no idea the prices had gone up so much in the last few years. I went with all led for the tail/stop lights and I'm sure I paid less than $25 for all four lamps combined... :gunhead:
Thanks Shooter....help me here....of those bulbs which would you choose for tail/brake lights?

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
imported post

I've been using the 24 bulb 1156 and 1157 bulbs from SBL and am quite happy with them. They cost $7.49 each. I do agree that the right angle or tower bulbs would work better for the rear turn signals though on the older turn signal housings.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

you could start with the cheapest ones that make sense, and see if you like them. Then step up... if necessary.

I have the harbor freight lights in the back of the wee, and have zero complaints.

I also added some addl reds for a stop 'bar'. 2 strips of 15 micro red and four pods of four each 3mm leds all wired to come on with the brake lights. Thats 46 leds, paid $15 for all on fleabay. Plenty bright... I know you arent looking for this type, but my point is that ebay is cheap, and I bet they last long enough to justify the price savings...

Similar to this...

and this...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Xtracho: PM sent... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I guess that's an idea.
If shipping is not too much I could get 1 cheaper bulb and see if I like it, then buy more if I do. If I don't like the one, buy one of a different type next.

Are there any cars/trucks out there using LED bulbs?
Thinking junkyards might be a good source for cheap LED bulbs.
$1 for a used bulb maybe and it'd probably still last forever.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

The LEDs in cars are more likely to be integrated into the plastic lense, an odd shape or will be of some non-standard base type if they are replacable at all. Not likely that you'll find anything useful at a junker unless you want the entire lense array.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Found these bulbs at $26 for 4 of them. Whaddya think?

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

X,

Does the 1200 tail light also illuminate the license plate? If so, then you'll need white light in addition to the red.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

OldSchool_IsCool wrote:
X,

Does the 1200 tail light also illuminate the license plate? If so, then you'll need white light in addition to the red.
Nope...it's a separate bulb.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

Went the route of cheap as opposed to the high output 24 25 doller ones. Found cheap is what you get. LED tech is still growing leaps and bounds Auto supply stores are stuck in time and superbright LEDS are not on most of the shelfs.

As directional will not make use of the reflectors They give an ok light. The towers make use of the reflectors and enhance the light output or noticability to a great degree.

Each one of us will have their own opinionso having replaced all of the lights on mine to LED I have no complaints... and have gone on to add more. No regrets as to cost the end result has been and is worth it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.