Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have pulled the the shocks off of my 86 1200 sei goldwing,replaced oil seals without letting the tiger springs out of their cage.
My question is can I now tun the shocks upside down and rest the spring end cap bolts on the floor and replace the fork oil by pouring the oil into the hole where the allen head bolt came out of? Will this be an acceptable way to replace the new oil?
Thanks for all of you help.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Yes no problem just watch for the air hole, cover it with something or you will be losing the oil while you add it. you may lose some oil when you finally install the allen bolt when you seat the inner rod on the hole. try using the drain bolt with the allen bolt in place.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
imported post

On my 1100 when I did my forks I refilled through the air inlet holes. Took one of my wifes hair color bottles and used that. It is tapered down to a point and also angled an has oz's marked on the side. It was very easy. Hope this helps. Dwight

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
imported post

ha ha ha bravo deblak im glad im not the only one that uses weird lil things like that....ya made me feel a little normal for a minute or two:cool:

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
imported post

I use every trick in the book and learned most of them right here on this great site. Dwight

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

Hey Billymc

Could you briefly outline how you did the seal change without removing the springs? i need to do mine before next season and would really like to avoid the headache of trying to get the springs back in.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I'd like to know also.I first changed my fork ol on one of my shocks thatway. It was a little tideous and slow, but I ended up having to put new seals in one so I went both, and done it by the book. Pulled em off, broke them down, and reinstalled then reassembled.

Nightrider1

:cool:

Nightrider1

Broke Winger wrote:
Hey Billymc

Could you briefly outline how you did the seal change without removing the springs? i need to do mine before next season and would really like to avoid the headache of trying to get the springs back in.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I did pull the spring out on one side, then found out how to do it here in this forum. Pulled the front wheel, fender then removed the 4 allen head bolts (2 each side) that are located just behind the headlight assy. on the lower front fork brace. I then removed the false tank, handle bars and used a rubber tie hooked to the frame under the seat to support the handle bar on each side(first checking to make sure the fluid was not leaking out of storage container on each side)remove 2 allen head bolts and the air line which is conected to the top fork brace. Now this is the area I missed up, there was a sensor line that ran down the center of the frame where the steering bearings go, I have not gotten back to this yet but I am pretty sure the connector can can be disconnected from the wiring harness where these wires come off of the main wiring harness and then be pulled up through the frame. I on the other hand did not disconnect them and was lucky that the main 4 wire connector disconnected itself but there were two more wires that I broke pulling the ign. switch out, not all bikes have this sensor but mine did.Once the allen head bolts and air line has been removed,the forks will slid right down without removing the end caps on the forks,let it slide down a few inches and you will see a retaining circlip that is very week and can be removed by hand,once removed the whole fork will just slide out. Once removed there is a bolt that is recessed where the axle bolt rest, I was lucky and they both were able to be removed by an allen wrench,although some have had to use an air wrench due to the spring turning inside and the air wrench with allen head tool spun it fast enough to loosen it up.Once the bolt is removed drain the shock oil into a container while pumping the shock up and down forcing most of the fluid out. Then remove the dust seal and right under that is a snap ring,my snap ring pliers were worn and did not work even after I bent them to perfectly fit,I ended up using a small pair of craftsman needle nose pliers that were made with a 90 degree angle and a couple of small flat tip screw drivers, as I squeezed the snap ring with one hand I put the screw driver behind the snap ring, then I stuck the other screw driver in behind the other one and worked it around like changing a tire, once about a 1/4 ways around I took the needle nose pliers and just gave the snap ring a little pull and it came out very easy.Then grab the upper part of the shock and hold onto the lower part and slid it like a pull hammer until the seal comes out.Clean up blow it out,inspect bushings if too much copper is showing replace bushing,coat all parts with fluid and put it back together,make sure the seal is installed correctly,you can put the old seal on top of the new one to help install it so that the new seal is not damaged,if you have about a 2 inch x 16 inch pvc pipe you can use that to drive the seal into place,your pvc pipe ,must fit real good around the outer edge of the seal as it does take a good amount of pressure with (rubber) hammer to get this seal to seat as the snap ring must snap back into place, once I thought it was seated good enough I put the snap ring in and used the same pvc pipe to drive the snap ring into place,look closely to make sure this snap ring is fully seated.I then put the bottom allen head bolt back in with a small amount of rtv around the threads up near the head of the bolt, remove the drain plug and use the drain plug hole to refill fork with oil with the required amount for your bike. Good luck

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Just figured out where the wires go that I was talking about in above post,these wires need to be removed at the same time that you remove the lower fork brace. These wires 6 of them go to a balance sensor that is mounted just above the lower air damn, there are 2 philips head screws and 2 10 mm bolts that hold this on, you will have to feed some wire down to the sensor so it will come out, there are 2 castle like nuts and a philips head screw holding sensor in place, once these are removed and you feed some wire to it ,it will drop down far enough to see the 4 wire connector and 2 single wire connectors,unplug these and keep on going with above instructions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.