Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Down
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all has anybody added rear speakers to a 1200 aspencade or any 1200 that did not have them i still have my stock radio and amp and for now wish not to change that i know the ltd and sei models had them and thr was a fader control in the trip computer did the ltd have the same amp and how could i install a fader control if thats whats needed thanks all

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

Me too. I'd like to replace those little round storage pouches on the passenger seat with rear speakers on my '86 1200 Aspy. Any ideas on how to do this? Would I run into electric problems by doing this?(think stator and extra draw on battery))

·
Down
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I don't think the draw on the battery is a concern as i know people have just put aftermarket radios on them and ran 4 speakers but for now id like to keep mine i like the handle controls I'm just gonna put the speaker cases that the ltd or sei had on them I just wondering how i should wire it up if it can be done

·
Down
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

wonder if the aftermarket fader and rear speaker kit for a 1500 would work with a 1200 anybody?

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

I'm sure you could add a set of rear speakers, especially if you replaced or added an amp to drive the rears. If you simply tap the rear speakers into the fronts, you divide the power and will likely be unhappy with the results...even more so if the speakers impedance aren't matched. Regarding the 1500 fader control, I haven't seen a wiring diagram but if you can get your hands on one you should be able to determine if it will work.

I'm sure someone's done this before and hopefully they'll chime in, especially with pictures.

BTW, found these .. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/J-M-...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c6394641

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

Listing is for just the replacement speakers, NOT the housings needed.

Ken

BTW - You can get the J&M speakers from pretty much any aftermarket bike parts place for a lower price.

Ken

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I removed them from my '85 LTD, but they were no good. The speakers were completely disintegrated and the housings were almost. One of them was cracked, and the plastic had started to turn to dust. I saw what used ones were going for, but these were hopelessly ruined. The only possibly salvageable parts of the system were the stereo itself, and the trip computer, both of which I already gave away.

·
Down
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Well i just talked to one of the guys at siarra electronics and said that if i hook my rear speakers up to my front speaker in parallel confg i should be fine this is how the ltd was wired but with a fader we will see how it pans out just bought the rear speakes for a ltd and gonna see how it sounds if it doesn't sound to bad i will keep this setup

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Down wrote:
Well i just talked to one of the guys at siarra electronics and said that if i hook my rear speakers up to my front speaker in parallel confg i should be fine this is how the ltd was wired but with a fader we will see how it pans out just bought the rear speakes for a ltd and gonna see how it sounds if it doesn't sound to bad i will keep this setup
It will work fine IF your stereo has enough power for 4 speakers. If not, you will have to add an amp. And remember, you will have to drill holes in your trunk lid to mount the speakers. You really shouldn't need a fader uless the passenger complains about the rear speakers being too loud.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

There are Two different set ups for the Radio one is I believe a 1100 which is two speakers the other a 1200 which pulls the four speakers.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

Bought LTD rear speakers off Ebay for both my 87 Aspencades. Installed one pair about 3 years ago, and the other about 2 years ago. The speakers themselves were shot, so I also bought some Polk Audio 401's that fit in the LTD speakers housings. I mounted them on my top box and wired them in connecting to my front speakers. They sound excellant and look like they came factory ready. I would highly recommend them for anyone wanting a 4 speaker setup. I also have not noticed any problems with either stereo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.