Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm thinking of adding an additive to the differential on my GL1200 & 1500. There is a Sllcik 50 for gearboxes that I might try, or even one of those Moly additives. Question is, is it okay to put an additive into the diff, or am I wasting my time?

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Waste of time considering the GL1200 differential starves for oil when filled to the factory level. Hondas fill level (7 oz) aint enough. Fill it, remove the inspection cap, spin the rear wheel forward and watch the oil climb on the ring gear. Bearings starve for oil.

If the engineers that designed it intended it to have additives, it would. Especially dont waste time with Teflon additives, Teflon has no mechanical shear strength and a Manager at DuPont told me that Teflon is useless as an oil additive but they werent allowed to state so due to fear of restraint of trade suits.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Dave Campbell wrote:
Waste of time considering the GL1200 differential starves for oil when filled to the factory level. Hondas fill level (7 oz) aint enough. Fill it, remove the inspection cap, spin the rear wheel forward and watch the oil climb on the ring gear. Bearings starve for oil.
Ain't that the truth. The diff on the Wing holds very little oil. There are two ways of getting more oil in, one is to fill the diff with the bike on the sidestand or better still leaned over even lower. Another is to fill it on the mainstand and with the engine running and in gear. This lowers the oil level as some of it splashes around the ring gear and allows you to put more in. There is no risk of blowing a seal doing this as the vent will take care of it. I'd agree about additives. If they do work where gears are involved, it's only for a short time until the gears crush the additive.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

Maybe a synthetic gear oil like AMSoil would work a lot better than teflon. I use it in my 1986 GL1200 Aspencade and it run quieter and cooler. WyoWinger

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

GW Eddie: Im surprised anyone has noticed this, it appears youve spent some time "under the seat." LOL

The rear diff needs 14 oz. to work correctly, but itll spew about 4 of those out on the rear end.

Ill give this one away for fun. This is one of Hondas "nasty 9" as I term them (design flaws in the 1200's) , it results in destruction of the diff' bearings.

The rear diff needsa level of oil fillthat isnt possible to fill the rear diff that high as gear pressure will blow it out the vent button. With that info, anyone can figure out the rest.

P.S. If you have one of those diff's apart, try and find the oil pump inside. There is one.

BRowan:"Moly" (molebdnium disulfide) is an excellent, high-pressure gear additive made for extreme pressures as found in helical gears (whats in this rear end.) I use nothing but that for additive and never use anything but "moly" grease for chassis and bearings.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Dave, I got a small tine of "Moly Slip" yesterday and I'll put it in this weekend. Am I understanding your post right, ie you just put the Moly in with no gear oil, or should I add some to the gear oil like it says on the tin?

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

It "should be" used as an additive, unless it comes already mixed with oil. Ive never heard of using it straight, and since most oils are a package of properties, Id be afraid to. But, read the tin carefully first.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks Dave. The tin says to add up to 30%, so I'll do that on Saturday.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Good idea to flush any gear box with kerosene to rid the nasties that accumulate when oil gets too hot. I was surprised to see how much dark goop ran out of my GL1200 rear end at about 20,000 miles when I removed it to see how many pieces inside. Poured solvent in and it came out black. Kerosene is somewhat compatible with oils, it vaporises quickly so it wont hurt.

Oh, and can you do a favor? I need to know the precise outer diameter of that little chrome breather cap that fits in the rear end of the GL1200. Could you pop that out and measure it? Have you a caliper or micrometer to measure it with? Appreciate the help.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I use a tin of Moly in my GL1100 engine oil at every change. I know some people will shout "clutch slip" but I've never had a clutch slip yet and it does make the gears easier to change. Never thought of adding it to the diff but I may do this next service time.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

I suppose the clutch might slip if its on its way out already, or if its adjusted too tight but I cant imagine oil additive hurting it.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Dave... What are the Honda "nasty 9" issues you have found on the GL1200's?... We would like to know so we can prevent any nasty's on our Wings... Thanks...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

BTW guys, calling that thing hooked up between the driveshaft and the rear wheel a differential is a misnomer since it doesn't do any differentiating, Honda calls it a final drive. That leaves the question of what to call that other thing, faux tank, false cover, or top cover.

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Having managed a fleet of 50 trucks for 15 years I had the opportunity to test many lubricant additives and the results came up the same almost every time, lubricants as they are manufactured, without aftermarket additives always came up with better scores on the oil analysis scales.

It appears that some additives don't blend as well with regular lubricants as their manufacturers state they do and may cause premature wear and at the very least simply cost you more money to purchase the unneeded additive. In some cases the additive can possibly change the chemical structure of the quality lubricant into something that makes it no longer a quality lubricant.

Vic

P.S. Exavid, it is funny when folks call the final drive a differential.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
BTW guys, calling that thing hooked up between the driveshaft and the rear wheel a differential is a misnomer since it doesn't do any differentiating,
True - it doesnt, old habits die hard! I call it other names but Wexman would not approve of posting them.:shock:

How about "right angle helical ring and pinion torque transfer case?" Or "Eric the Half- Bee?"

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
BTW guys, calling that thing hooked up between the driveshaft and the rear wheel a differential is a misnomer since it doesn't do any differentiating, Honda calls it a final drive. That leaves the question of what to call that other thing, faux tank, false cover, or top cover.

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

I was wondering about that myself but didn't want to bring it up being a newbie and all!:)

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

I was wondering about that myself but didn't want to bring it up being a newbie and all!:)
Why not? May as well be you. Even "goo-ruus" goof up now and again. I did when I got out of bed this morning.:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Old habits do die hard. It's a lot easier to say diff than final drive though! I suppose it shows that most of us drive cars as well and the terminology gets mixed up. I often call my Wings windshield a windscreen and my cars windscreen a windshield.

Oh and please stop slagging one another off Vic and Dave. Steve and Ciaran like to keep it spam, advert and FLAME-free. If we want to seethat stuffwe can see plenty ofit on other forums instead. I'd hate to see people being banished or posts being pulled, and we all know thats what will end up happening.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.