Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I aways read with interest about things that people use to make their bike look and run better. What is your choice or choices of products that help you with making that bike look good. Such as cleaners, anti-fog, rain repeller, waxes, chrome polishs and the like.

Then there are the additives like what do you use to clean the fuel system? How about oil additives. What kind of fork oil or final drive oil is best. I heard that fram Oil FIlters aren't the best for cycles. If that is so what's acceptable if you can't get a honda filter.

Also where do you find this stuff and who has the best prices.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

bwssr,

I too wondered that and after reading many posts and trying different things, I have found some that I think work pretty well.

1. I read about using Lemon Pledge for cleaning. I tried this and it really does clean well. It also cleans up the bugs on your windshield. Just spray a little on and if the bug has been there a while, allow it to soak in a minute or two and it will wipe right off. Also, it gives your bike a nice fresh lemony scent.:goofygrin:

2. I tried the MMO route in my fuel to help clean things up a little but after running several tanks, I could not see much improvement. I read about SeaFoam on here and I went out and purchased a can of that. I started running it in my gas and wow, I can really see a dramatic improvement. Throttle response has improved, starting has improved, fuel mileage has improved.

3. I drained off 1 quart of oil and put in a 16oz. jug of MMO into my crankcase. The oil was fairly clean when I did this. I ran it for 275 miles and just changed my oil. My oil went from fairly clean to filthy in 275 miles. I don't know if it is because the MMO cleaned out a lot of crap or because of something else but I know that the oil sure got nasty looking in just 275 miles. Looked like very thin crude oil. BLACK BLACK BLACK.

4. I just recently installed a new back tire and while doing this, drained out the oil from my final drive. I poured in about 1/2 can of SeaFoam and put the plug back in. I set the final drive up on my bench and spun the shaft back and forth with my hands for about a minute. Then I picked the drive up and shook it around to make sure the SeaFoam sloshed around quite nicely inside. I then dumped out the Seafoam and the crud and crap came rolling out. I did this one more time and again got a little gunk out. After installing the final back on the bike, I filled it with the recommended Hypoid 80W gear oil.

5. As for the filter, a local bike shop (mom and pop shop, not a dealer) sells HiFlo filters. Don't know anything about them but have always used them in my bikes and never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

for the aluminum areas I use a product called Mothers aluminum polish,takes a bit of elbow grease but will shine up the aluminum very well,if you are really ambitious you can bring it to almost a chrome shine.

The lemon pledge works very well,easy to get and use ,I use it on all the body panels.

I just did the MMO treatment on my 76 gl which was burning oil at the rate of a litre every 100 miles,put a litre of MMO ,filled the rest with regular oil and ran it 200 miles,drained it out,it looked like thin tar when i drained it,put in a fresh filter and oil and now it looks like I am going to get about a thousand miles before i have to add oil,I have gone almost 500 miles and it is not down half a litre yet.

For oil filters I am using one called HIFLOFILTRO HF 401,they come with both o rings for 8 dollars canadian,i have been using them for about 3 years and had no problems

I am just now trying the mmo in the gas today so am not sure how that will work yet,going to run a couple tanks through it and see

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

Lemon Pledge for a quick shine... Like just before you enter a Show and Shine... but for a rather awesome polish .......... try Macguires polish.. Its designed for boats .. and WOW !!! could shave in the reflection.../forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif Mothers  Polish for all  the aluminum... along with a dremel  and polishing  swirler from dremel.. I've got about 60% of the 20 yo Aluminum  to shine like it was chromed using these two tools/forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif.. and of course MMO in gas, and  oil... as needed...  and for a show look ... (gasp) after you polish all the paint,and chrome, and windshield till it "Shines like the top of the Chyrsler Building "    .... then  .......... use a small paper cup half full of ArmourAll, and a one inch wide paint brush.. and paint up all those rubber  gaskets, and covers, and black  stuff all over the bike.. like the tranny corrugated cover,   and the front dash, and the left glove box cover ......, and the floorboard rubbers... not too much.. just enough for it to dry to a shiny  black../forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif............... and if you have a bike lift, and only if you dare.. gotta be precise here ... scrub those  raised white letters on the tires bright and clean , and apply a very very very careful coat of Tire  side wall blacker to the walls only, whilst spinning tire... (Must get none on any tread parts). It will almost look too good to ride it ....... SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

SilverDave wrote:
Lemon Pledge for a quick shine... Like just before you enter a Show and Shine... but for a rather awesome polish .......... try Macguires polish.. Its designed for boats .. and WOW !!! could shave in the reflection.../forums/images/emoticons/shock.gifMothers Polish for all the aluminum... along with a dremel and polishing swirler from dremel.. I've got about 60% of the 20 yo Aluminum to shine like it was chromed using these two tools/forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif.. and of course MMO in gas, and oil... as needed... and for a show look ... (gasp) after you polish all the paint,and chrome, and windshield till it "Shines like the top of the Chyrsler Building " .... then ..........use a small paper cup half full of ArmourAll, and a one inch wide paint brush.. and paint up all those rubber gaskets, and covers, and black stuff all over the bike.. like the tranny corrugated cover, and the front dash, and the left glove box cover ......, and the floorboard rubbers... not too much.. just enough for it to dry to a shiny black../forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif...............and if you have a bike lift, and only if you dare.. gotta be precise here ... scrub those raised white letters on the tires bright and clean , and apply a very very very careful coat of Tire side wall blacker to the walls only, whilst spinning tire... (Must get none on any tread parts). It will almost look too good to ride it .......SilverDave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif
Hey man--could you be more specific on the armourall that you're talking about? Any particular iteration? I'm also unclear on some of the locations you mention to apply it to.

Thanks.--pete

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

I've used Lemon Pledge for the past 20 years and swore by it...unitil a couple weeks ago. It works great but I found something better, it is a plexiglass cleaner called Plexus. The label on the can says it is good for painted surfaces too, so I tried it on the windshield and painted surfaces and was totally blown away with the results. It stripped off the old wax and brought out the colors in the paint like it was new. Took out the scuffs and scratches in the windshield with no effort. Don't know what is in that sh_t, but it's great. I don't sell the stuff, but wish I did...I would be rich.

Bought a largeaerosol can at the local Honda shop for about $10 US.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

At my local truck dealer, I buy "Alumi-bright" by lysol. It is a concentrated cleaner that you cut with water. You brush it on with a car brush, Hose it off and it pulls all the crap out of the aluminum. than you polish it and the shine comes out like chrome.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
imported post

mirror glaze - 3m product used for getting scratches out of plexiglass - stuff is awesome

never dull - chrome polish wadding that works well

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

pete(r) wrote:
Hey man--could you be more specific on the armourall that you're talking about? Any particular iteration? I'm also unclear on some of the locations you mention to apply it to.

Thanks.--pete
FYI, you're not likely to get a response from SilverDave here. This post was made over 2 years ago, and he has not posted on this forum in over a year. He's busy on a 1200 only forum these days.

I assume he was talking about the original formula of ArmourALL. I've found most people, but especially old-timers, are talking about the originalwhen they simply say ArmourAll, but will specify if it's one of their other products.

John

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

My fluids and other stuff:

Plexus - windshield (not a cheap or as easy to find as Pledge but works better)

Honda Polsh and cleaner for the paint between MeGuires 26 yellow waxings.

Water - wash (if I ever need soap it's Turtle Wax car wash stuff).

Honda coolant - cooling system

Valvoline Full Syn clutch and brake fluid

Chevron DELO 400 15w-40 engine oil (currently) Walmart

SuperTech 6607 oil filter Walmart (less than $3)

Honda Air filter

Subfilter 1/2 of foam paintbrush or Honda

Honda Moly 60 grease drive line

Honda Hypoid 80 differential

Battery sealed CompuFire

Alternator CompuFire

EBC Brake Disks

EBC FF series brakes

Belts NAPA

Plugs NGK 8's

Tires Michelin Pilot GT's

Audio input AudioVox FMM-100A

Illuminating indicator fuses

oh yes... and SeaFoam once a year in the gas at springtime.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I have been using the lemon pledge with a micro fiber cloth after every ride and it works great I really llike how easy it is to use. makes it look like I spent a lot of time on it when I dont have to.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
imported post

Delo was indeed formulated for diesel engines, but it's been proven that the stresses that diesel engines put on oil are not unlike the ones motorcycles do.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

Sandy Eggo wrote:
Delo was indeed formulated for diesel engines, but it's been proven that the stresses that diesel engines put on oil are not unlike the ones motorcycles do.
Sandy,

If it has been proven, and I am not argueing the point with you, why is it not a generally accepted practice of use in motorcycles. I, like yourself, am of the opinion that the stresses of a bike engine combined with the gearbox destroys oil faster than a car motor and thus an oil like Delo would be preferable for use in bike motors. But this thinking is not reflected in current biking parlance....why I ask myself?

Kevan

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

kevan wrote:
Sandy Eggo wrote:
Sandy,

If it has been proven, and I am not argueing the point with you, why is it not a generally accepted practice of use in motorcycles. I, like yourself, am of the opinion that the stresses of a bike engine combined with the gearbox destroys oil faster than a car motor and thus an oil like Delo would be preferable for use in bike motors. But this thinking is not reflected in current biking parlance....why I ask myself?

Kevan
They aren't leading the pack like we are. :weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Amen, brother....

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
imported post

I'm currently running the Delo as well (thanks, Rudy!) and everything seems to be just fine. Runs quiet, shifts smooth. We'll see what it looks like when it comes out.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
imported post

Waskel wrote:
I'm currently running the Delo as well (thanks, Rudy!) and everything seems to be just fine. Runs quiet, shifts smooth. We'll see what it looks like when it comes out.
Oh, the double-entendres I could spin out, were I just a bit less mature! :waving:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Inquisitive minds want to know what you find.

Not my find however, exavid put the lead on me. I just gave him a little credibility. :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.