Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It's been a few weeks, but I finally got my Wing. Got myself a 78 that looks like it was originally blue/green and had a Vetter fairing on it (the wiring and the "Vetter" headlight kind of says it all). The previous owner took alot of time cleaning it up. The engine has been freshly painted. The calipers painted, rebuilt, etc. It's ready to ride. Got it off Craigslist. Here is a picture of it from the CL ad:

Anyway, on with the intent of this thread... After gettingher home, I was "personalizing" my Wing and found that the clutch reach was quite long. It's made for big guys (I mean Sasquatch-Big). Since the bike has been repainted, and has the wrong year gauges on it (not to mention a switch mounted on mytank gauge clusterthat operates nothing), there is no hope to return this one to completely factory stock condition (due to the cost).

I have left over parts (and who doesn't, right). In this case, it is a black perch and lever from a Kawasaki EX500 (can't remember the year). But it's got an adjustable lever.

When swapping out the huge tall bars with a Bikemaster Daytona, I installed the EX500 perch/lever. For the electrical connections, I just used a multimeter to figure out that the GL1000 clutch switch is normally open (electrically), then found that two of the three smaller blade connectors on the EX500 perch is also normally open (pressing the switch in closes the electrical circuit). I used two wires and small blade connectors (half the width of we normally see) to connect to the EX500 perch. I then used normal blades (but ground down the width a little, because these are neither full sized nor half sized) to fit the GL1000 connectors. Sorry, but I don't have pics. I can put some up in a few days if there is interest. The mirror fits fine after removing the plastic cap on the perch. Now I need to buy a black brake lever to match my clutch side.

tk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.