Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I'm trying to learn to drive our 1989 1500 trike but the clutch and brake levers are too wide for my hands. Is there any way to modify the 1800 adjustable levers to fit the 1500, or modify the existing levers to bring then in closer to the grips. I can barely reach the levers with the tips of my fingers and feel like I do not have a safe grip on them. Not to mention the fatigue I experience after a short practice session.Marilyn S.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Not to leave you hanging out there...

Don't know about the 1800 levers but here is my take on the two.

You could probably bend the clutch back about 30% since the clutch disengages right at the beginning of the pull but you need to leave some for the switches under it to activate.

On the brake lever, I have to be careful not to squish my finger under the lever because it pulls back so far under hard braking. It's switches are activated right at the beginning of the travel so that would not be a problem, but getting all the brake you need might be if you bent the brake lever much. Stainless brake lines reduce the amount of travel the brake lever makes for a given pressure so that might be considered as well.

I would buy a new set of levers before I tried any lever bending, just in case I snapped one or both off.

Any bending should be done with the lever off of the bike.

Also use the thinnest grips you can get. If you have small hands you don't need to be using ISOs or anything fat like that.

If I had that problem, I think I'd try to see if I could find a personally usable and still functional bend point for that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.