Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

LOOKING FOR TIPS ON ADJUSTING THE AIR MIXTURE ON A 1983. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO REMOVE THE CAPS? ALSO, THERE IS NO ADJUSTMENT SCREW OR LIMITER ON CARBURETOR #4, ONLY WHAT APPEARS TO BE A PLUG. I SEEK THE KNOWLEDGE OF SOMEBODY WHO HAS BEEN THERE BEFORE ME. THANKS, JIM

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

HI Jim...

as for the CAPS (and I see you have them locked on and should get them off.... yes double meaning here:waving:)... The best way to get them off is to heat them with mini torch.. the glue softens and the cap comes off... but that is best done with the carbs off.. I've never done it with the carbs on the bike.. I don't think that it can be done.. some grind off the aluminum tab so you can rotate it past the tab on the carb body.. I've done that too, but prefer the heat method... and I think the carbs should be off then too..

As for the one that looks like a brass plug.. I guarantee that is is a screw that has the end broke off (I've been there:waving:).. probably by trying to pry off the cap... this can be fixed.. again the carbs need to come off.. but you can cut a slot in the brass end (that looks like a plug) with a dremel tool/die grinder with a small cutoff disc.. this will allow a screwdriver blade to remove the screw.. This is a common problem because the screws intentionally have a reduced diameter weak point under the head that breaks when tampered with..

Edit: and if you scroll down to Bagmaster's link, you can see the screw (and that weak point).

SDB/Jim

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Been there, done that as far as breaking the end off the slow idle mixture screw on my brother's 83 1100. Ordered a new one from a local dealer pretty cheap following this tip from Randall's website.

http://www.randakks.com/TechTip74.htm

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

And if you have the idea to drill a hole and use an easy-out... don't...

you'll just drive the needle into its seat forever.. it will lodge there and then break off.... you probably could do this if you have a set of left-hand drill bits.. but bad idea with right-hand...

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Great tip/advice guys! I already removed three caps using a soldering gun. I will cut a slot in #4 once I get the new idle mixture screw. Thanks - you guys are great! Jim

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

I was thinking about presetting the mixture screws to two turns. Do you know how many turns they are typically set from the factory? Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

3 turns out for the initial setting on the 82's and the 83's. Once the carbs are synced then you do the idle drop procedure with the slow speed idle screws.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Darn wish i knew about the kawasaki part being cheaper that Honda i just paid 18 bucks for a pilot screw

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

britman wrote:
Darn wish i knew about the kawasaki part being cheaper that Honda i just paid 18 bucks for a pilot screw
Ouch!!!:D:D:D:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.