Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've made several different angled scredrivers, all with the intent of being able to adjust those little idle jet needles. With a fixed blade, it seams I can never have the fortune of having the slot in the right spot to be able to use a driver.

I've had minimal luck with a cheap ratcheting driver that has a flat blade, but the distance between 'clicks' is not fine enough to really be useful. About the only thing that I can do to adjust #1 and #2 is using a pair of hemastat type medical pliers, but even with those, I can only MAYBE get an 1/16 to and 1/8 turn at a time, and even that takes time.

These are, btw, missing the limiter caps, which makes these things tough to finger turn. Do that while the motor is hot, and it's becomes a very painful game of Operation!

I can't find that I'd thought I'd seen at a Sears or something, a 90 degree screw driver that turns it's bit by twisting the handle. Anyone know where something like that can be found?

Would love to find a better way, one where I can actually accurately count the turns-- at 1/16th, not only do I lose count, but alot of the turns don't result in actual movement.

·
Administrator
26,180 Posts
imported post

Motion Pro carb adjusting tool. $27 from JC Whitney

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

I made a special screw driver out of a 1" 10mm bolt. I ground the end to fit the slot and use a mirror to see where the slot of the screw is facing and then with great difficulty and two hands shoved between and around the intakes hold the bolt up into the slot..it ain't pretty but it works.

I can even use a 10mm wrench and turn it while holding it up in the slot and that works too.

Stop by and I'll show you mine???:dude:

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

****, John $90!!! I'll continue to make due with my little ground down bolt. Hell I only mess with them once every year or two.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

At $90, yeah, I'd have to pass. $25? Hmmm, Pep boys, huh? What'd they call it?

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

At $90, yeah, I'd have to pass. $25? Hmmm, Pep boys, huh? What'd they call it?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

I think they called it a angled carburetor adjustment tool, something like that.
The one I got doesnt have any name or stamps on it.
I found it in the area where they display specialty tools like cylinder hones and timing lights.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

Motion Pro works great. Resonable price. Use it and you'll stop burning your fingers and get the job done in a fraction of the time. Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.