Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, I just purchased my Goldwing, and I have noticed that i can't always get shifted down into first gear. I can nail neutral but every now and then that's all I get. It looks like the shifter is contacting the gaurd. I,m not sure how to adjust it though.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

The only adjustment there would be, is removing the shift lever and rotate it on the shaft to line up with the splines again.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

yeah i thought as much. Problem is that it's a heal and toe lever, and there's so much excess metal from the floorboard mounts i can barely get my big fat foot scrrunched in there to shift in the first place.

I do see a turnbuckle set up down there maybe for adjusting. or maybe toss the floorboards and mount some pegs.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

You can re-adjust the lever. I have found the heel/toe a problem sometimes. If your clutch is out of adjustment, the problem is worse too.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

I have a regular shifter on my 1100. The [email protected]#% thing was too high, so I rotated it down one tooth on the spline. That made it come in contact with the pipe.

So, I carefully measured and cut a shallow notch out of the shifter to clear the pipe shield, then chamfered the cut. Works great.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

Might check out your heel/toe. I did some tightening of mine (was sloppy) and got it too tight. It was hanging up down shifting and would do what you dicribe untillI removed enough shims for it to run free.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for all the replies. My computer was acting up for awhile there and I wasnt able to get on the internet and check posts. I did rotate the shifter up (back) one notch and it has helped some. Still considering sending the heel/toe lever to the ash heap of history though.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
imported post

Make sure that the shift arm at the input shaft is aligned correctly with the punch mark. It's small and hard to see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.