Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'd like to come up with a way to set the headlamp level that is not just a try and guess. I've tried driving in narrow streets to see where the highlight "band" is from the headlamp, but I'm not quite comfortable with the outcome.

So, I pose the question: How do I go about setting the headlamp so that it is projecting level when on high beam? Sit it still back from a wall (how far) on level ground and measure up from the ground? Ride it down the road toward my wife or helper and keep cranking the adjustments until the light hurts their eyes? Drive toward a wall and hope to stop in time?

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

Measure vertically from the ground to the centre of your headlight, not on side or centre
stand and with you sitting on the bike (good trick if you can do it!). Find a wall with 25 feet of flat floor in front of it and mark the measured height on the wall. From the 25 foot mark(again, not on the stands and with you sitting on the bike) adjust the high beam so that it just comes up to - but not over - the mark on the wall. This is your starting point. If you change the load on your bike, or the air pressure in the forks/shocks, you might have to make minor adjustments.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

gido wrote:
Measure vertically from the ground to the centre of your headlight, not on side or centre
stand and with you sitting on the bike (good trick if you can do it!). Find a wall with 25 feet of flat floor in front of it and mark the measured height on the wall. From the 25 foot mark(again, not on the stands and with you sitting on the bike) adjust the high beam so that it just comes up to - but not over - the mark on the wall. This is your starting point. If you change the load on your bike, or the air pressure in the forks/shocks, you might have to make minor adjustments.
bcassel, thanks for asking this question because I need to adjust mine after haveing the fairing apart.

gido..thanks for the answer because years ago I remember adjusting the headlight this way onmy honda shadowbut for the life of me I couldnt remember how I did it. The Goldwing manual just says to adjust it according to you states regulations.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
The headlights on my GL1800 seem to be very low. In fact I can run high beams at night without oncoming traffic flashing me. Is there an adjustment other than the electronic one on the dash. If so how is it made. Thanks

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
My method is much faster for me, I just get behind a car and set the top of the high beam to just barely touch the rear window on the bottom... if they don't complain, then it is good enough.

that seems to give me plenty of "down the road" illumination.

·
Administrator
26,530 Posts
The headlights on my GL1800 seem to be very low. In fact I can run high beams at night without oncoming traffic flashing me. Is there an adjustment other than the electronic one on the dash. If so how is it made. Thanks
Most of them are very low from the factory and a lot of times not the same. From under the front, up by the forks there is an adjustment screw facing down, a 12mm socket and 10 to 12" extension makes it easy to adjust them while watching the lights on a wall. Clockwise to raise the beam. Put the electric adjuster in the center so you will have some movement both ways.

·
Trike Master
1,247 Posts
HEADLAMP AIM PROCEDURE​

Proper headlamp aim is achieved by adjusting the upper(high) beams.
Bike needs to be on a level floor, standing upright, loaded as you normally ride. (re, 1up-you for most), with pre load set as you ride 1up, placed 25' from a wall to the headlamp lens in front of the upper beam. I would suggest the auto adjust dial be set in the middle position for this aiming.
Measure the distance from the floor up to the center of the upper beam bulbs. Mark this height on the wall and draw a horizontal line at this height.
Sight a point on the wall that is on the centerline of the bike. Draw a vertical line on the wall placed on this center line.
turn on the upper beams.
Cover one of the headlamps.
Use the manual adjusters accessed under the front of the fairing.
Adjust the vertical until the hot spot of the upper beam bulb is just under the horizontal line on the wall.
Adjust the horizontal until the upper beam hot spot is just to the right of the vertical line on the wall.
Cover the headlamp just completed, and repeat procedure on the other headlamp.
Make a small mark on the auto adjust panel so you can return to the 1up setting.
Now have both headlamps uncovered and have the usual passenger you carry sit on the bike w/you, set the preload for 2up, and dial in the auto adjust dial for proper aim and mark that position on the panel by the dial. You can repeat this for loaded 1up, loaded 2up, trailer, etc.
You get what you get for low beam aim depending on how good the headlamp design was to start with!

There are vertical and horizontal aimming "screws" on the back of the headlamps. Accessible from under the fairing.
Thumbnail is for the GL1800!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.