Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My rear view mirror does not "stay" in position. I can't seem to find the tightener. I know this sounds like a simple question - but I could use some help. Thanks guys - Hey BTW my wife gets all excited when I tell her I'm talking to guys from Ireland in the forum-what's up with that!

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
imported post

Hi!

If it's like the 83, you have to remove the mirror from the fairing, then pull the rubber "gasket" thing off. There is a tightening screw in there.

I have heard, though, that some do not have that screw, just a plastic ball and socket that wears with age. Me, well, I'm special I guess. ;)

Jack (not in Ireland, but wouldn't mind it)

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

I have an 83 Aspencade.

I have replaced both mirrors. The tightening trick did not work. both mirrors would get blown inward once I got up to speed on the highway.

Good luck...

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Set them where you want and apply the crazy glue, or drill it and put in a set screw. There will be no need for further adjustment! Like jsmith said:
I have heard, though, that some do not have that screw, just a plastic ball and socket that wears with age.
Kyle

Necessity is the mother of invention

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

That's what I did with a right mirror that wouldn't stay put, adjusted it carefully then removed it and dripped in a couple drops of crazy glue in the ball and socket joint. It's been behaving just fine for the past six months.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:
Hi!

If it's like the 83, you have to remove the mirror from the fairing, then pull the rubber "gasket" thing off. There is a tightening screw in there.

I have heard, though, that some do not have that screw, just a plastic ball and socket that wears with age. Me, well, I'm special I guess. ;)

Jack (not in Ireland, but wouldn't mind it)
I'd say Tennessee is a lot sunnier than Ireland Jack. Anytime I've been to the green isle it's been just like home -- either dull, windy or raining! ;)

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

Jack,Not from Ireland. You must remove the mirror to tighten the mounting mechanism To do this if you have speakers remove the signal ight from the fairing, be carefull not to drop the little screw grommets into the fairing.I like to pop them off until I'm ready to re-instal the signal light. Next there should be 4 wing nuts holding the speaker in placeRemove them. Don't drop. no need to unhook speaker wires just place speaker out of your way. Now you can get at the nuts that hold the mirror in place. remove the screws, carefull don't drop the nuts into the fairing. Now you can get to the back of the mirror whenyou lift it off the fairing. You should be able to tighten the small cap screwthat hold the spring in place. If the threads in the morror base armare stripped it is posible to drill the base arm(from the inside)the next size larger and tap threads into the next size hole you have drilled. If this doesn't work,as a last resort you can drill a hole two sizes larger right through the mirror base arm then use a counter sink bit to chamfer the outside of the mirror base arm to accept a chrome headed cap screw from the outside of the mirror base armand put a nut on the inside. Now you can tighten it pretty tight. Makes sure you have the small mountingarm positioned to close to where it should be before installing the mirror back on the fairing. If you use a chrome headed cap screw and you have counter sunk it corretly it won't betoo noticeable.Hope this helps.Ive done it this way on both my 83 gl 1100 mirrors and it works well. Try to find a caps crew that matches the cap screws that hold themirror to the fairing.Ben Herr

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

Ben, I'm interested in seeing a picture or drawing of the way you repaired your1100/1200 Wings mirrors. The locktight others suggest works till some passer by walks to close to and bumps the mirror.:shock:

Thanks in advance, PJ :snowman:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.