Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

steve

I would be interested in how many ofyour members are members of Advanced motor cycle training schemes, for those members across the pond the UK has a recognised organization called Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) which trains all categories of vehicle drivers.

I Joined and passed the tests on both car and bike, to correct the bad habits that I had picked up over the years, observing drivers now frightens me some times and have to treat drivers and riders alike as idiots if only to protect my life.

I would suspect that like myself the majority of wing owners are of the mature age (Over 40) and havean interest in preserving our pride and joy and have said at some time 'been there, done that and got the tee shirt'

It would be interested to see any comments and stories of the members.

Mike

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
imported post

Here in Toronto, the colleges put on a weekend course for new riders. My wife took it, and they manage to identify a lot of issues that it took me 38 years to learn. I would hate to see anybody start riding now in any congested area who hasn't taken one of these courses...they are imperative in the survival process on a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
imported post

I think anyone with any kind of a drivers liscence should have to take a course and a refresher every5 yrs or so. Perhaps Joe Public would better understand and a few less of us two wheelers would be getting wiped out!!!:bat:

My BIGGEST pet peeve is......In Manitoba we pay one of the highest insurance rates and the rationale is that they (Insurance Companies) pay out huge bucks for bodily injury claims. Charge the ones causing the accidents, not the victims!!!:gunhead:

All new riders and probably alot of the older ones too, should take a defensive driving course for self preservation.....Anticipation.....Reaction......Avoidance.:clapper:

Kyle

It takes two to Tango but, ........why is only one paying the band?

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Yes I do agree both riders and drivers should take refresher tests every five or so years, irrespective of the Advanced training.If this was the case half the countries vehicles would be parked up.

Is there Advanced training schemes in Canada available? our system is based on police basic training that all police officers undertake, instructors are trained bikers and driverslike our selves, the examiners are mainly Police traffic officers who offer their time for free, as the ADI is a registered charity.

Regarding insurance, I think we in the uk pay the lowest premiums around at the moment, but the states system of sue the back side of everybody is creeping into our system, then every body will suffer, it would be nice to see the offender payas you state

I read an article recently that our insurance companies pay a sum of money into a pot, from our premiums to cover accidents caused by none insured riders/drivers. The courts should through the key away after locking up the none insured.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
imported post

In Winnipeg we do have a recognized motorycle course aimed at the novice rider. I believe it is called something original like "Motorcycle Safety Riding Course" There are a gazzillion driving schools specailizing in multiple languages, as we are the melting pot of the world, but once again, aimed at the novice driver.

Once in a blue moon, I'll see a course offered for more advance driving techniques such as skid control etc. (Hell, I learned how to do all that whenI was 16!!)

When you rack up numerous tickets and accidents, the Gov't will make you take a Defensive Driving Course which is more about attitude than actual skill. And I'm not knocking it....it is good because attitude is a big chunk of it. The big thing is you gotta see what's coming, and you're driving every vehichle around you.

Kyle

It's my lane if I'm in it....It's his lane if he's taking it.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

I took a beginners course to get my endorsement to ride. They supply a modifiedhonda 250 for you to ride on. I was the only one in the class with less than 7 years of riding experience (I took the course in the winter time to avaoid the summer rush and to insure a spot in the class. ALL 9 otherdrivers were wing riders!!!). There was one woman that had15 years of back-seat experience and wanted to move to the drivers seat. BUT... every single person in that class said they took the class to eliminate/identify bad habits. I was amazed at how many of them had difficulty passing the class. We had 2 fail. I am planning on taking the course every-so-often to identify bad habits of mine (like leaving the bike in gear and holding the clutch at stop lights!). I even want to take the advanced classes that teach maintenance, emergency driving/repair, things like how to pick-up your 800 lb. bike...

Mitch

94 1500 A

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Mitch

Glad to hear you are planning on taking a refresher course, I will be taking a refresher course next summer together with a instructors course for the IAM.

I note that the only responses received on this topic are from you guys across the pond and none from our Irish and uk fellow bikers.

Mike

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
imported post

In response to Mikes last post, I live in the UK and am moving to Ireland in the New Year. I have taken advanced tuition towards gaining a RoSPA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents) qualification and found it amazing, I found that thereal dividends of this trainingbecame evident by the factthat I have had no 'near miss' incidents on the road since taking the course, not one and I travel on roads such as the M25 and M1 around London, the instructor taught me how to pre-empt and avoid getting in the way of danger way before the incident happened, by 'reading' the situation that was unfolding on the road, I was disappointed that the season had run out before I had the opportunity to take the test, but was delighted to read an article on this website by John Wheeler, highlighting the fact that it is now possible to take the RoSPA Advanced Test in Ireland http://www.goldwingfacts.com/wheelmanspage.htm

This is great news and I will be contacting John as soon as I hit the shores of the emerald Isle

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Hi greenwing

Hope you take the test, as I found out my enjoyment of Both driving and riding increased 10 fold after my tuition, looking back as you state I can not remember my last near miss, but do remember shaking my head at other drivers actions, I may not be perfect but a lot more wise that most drivers.

Hope your move to the Emerald Isles goes smooth.

Thanks for the link, I did'nt Know there was one on Steve site

Mike

G

·
imported post

manxblackcat wrote:

I note that the only responses received on this topic are from you guys across the pond and none from our Irish and uk fellow bikers.

Hey manxblackcat, The Irish Wing Riders are very shy when it comes to talking about training. :crying:But I can assure you they all know their stuff when it comes to road craft. :clapper:I have observed a large number of them when out on the roads and I must state without fear of contradiction, :grinner: these guys have nothing to learn :clapper:Unfortunely I cannotstate the same about the boy racers on our roads. :whip: I have often returned from a days spin in a very sombre state of mind :crying:when you witness the antics of these guys on the publicroads. :whip: I have travelled over the years to Italy, France, Spain and the UK with groups of wing riders and I was very impressed by the standard of driving on every occasion. :clapper: Just because they dont respond to this topic does'nt mean that they dont know their stuff. Always remember that "Silence speaks Louder than Words". :leprechaun:

:santawaving::18red::santawaving:

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
imported post

In addition to driver training, the Canadian Safety Council also offers a course for passengers which I thought was a good idea as well.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
manxblackcat wrote:

Hey manxblackcat, The Irish Wing Riders are very shy when it comes to talking about training. :crying:But I can assure you they all know their stuff when it comes to road craft. :clapper:I have observed a large number of them when out on the roads and I must state without fear of contradiction, :grinner: these guys have nothing to learn :clapper:Unfortunely I cannotstate the same about the boy racers on our roads. :whip: I have often returned from a days spin in a very sombre state of mind :crying:when you witness the antics of these guys on the publicroads. :whip: I have travelled over the years to Italy, France, Spain and the UK with groups of wing riders and I was very impressed by the standard of driving on every occasion. :clapper: Just because they dont respond to this topic does'nt mean that they dont know their stuff. Always remember that "Silence speaks Louder than Words". :leprechaun:

:santawaving::18red::santawaving:
Must admitt Redwing i have never observed a poor :18green: rider. Thanks for the responce. Its the rest we have to educate.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
imported post

Lessee, I've been riding since 1959, Harleys, Hondas, Yamahas, etc., all sizes. Never had training of any kind. Never had a wreck, either. After reading this forum; however, I feel like I must be in danger because I'm not trained. I'll try to find a class ASAP

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

E. W. Mitchell wrote:
I am planning on taking the course every-so-often to identify bad habits of mine (like leaving the bike in gear and holding the clutch at stop lights!).

Mitch

94 1500 A
I'm not sure why this would be considered a bad habit. I do it as a matter of course, not only to be ready when the light changes, but also in case of emergencies, like a car coming up behind you that is obviously not going to stop. It would take a lot of convincing to get me to stop doing this.

On an unrelated note, every so often Redwing somehow gets put on my "ignore" list and I have to "unignore" him. I've never put Redwing or anyone else on the list, don't understand why this is happening. (Is he put on the list by default, so that we have to "opt in" to his posts?:dude:)

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
imported post

skyking435 wrote:
Lessee, I've been riding since 1959, Harleys, Hondas, Yamahas, etc., all sizes. Never had training of any kind. Never had a wreck, either. After reading this forum; however, I feel like I must be in danger because I'm not trained. I'll try to find a class ASAP
YOU ARE AN ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN!!!:Dsounds to me your experience behind the bars is in your favor skyking, I will never discount training courses for new and old riders, but old riders get a big pass in my opinion, just being an old rider proves once again that experience is the biggest factor is success in cycling, and everything else for that matter, experience is one thing that just can't be taught.;)

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

chiefcherokee wrote:
E. W. Mitchell wrote:
I am planning on taking the course every-so-often to identify bad habits of mine (like leaving the bike in gear and holding the clutch at stop lights!).

Mitch
94 1500 A
I'm not sure why this would be considered a bad habit. I do it as a matter of course, not only to be ready when the light changes, but also in case of emergencies, like a car coming up behind you that is obviously not going to stop. It would take a lot of convincing to get me to stop doing this....
I agree! Keeping the bike in gear gives you an out.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Took this IAM test back in the 80's. I was an instructor back then for the then two part test.

I must admit the training was good and I still use the knowledge today but I've never kept the training up.

Must admit I found the IAM a bit more like a club and in those days most were car drivers and there were very few bikers.

Still got my green enamel badge.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
imported post

I am nearly 67 years old and have been riding since I was 18 years old. At 45 years old, I tookmy firstmotorcycle safetyclass and found I was doing a lot of things wrong. A few month ago I bought the video "Ride like a Pro." After a few weeks of practice, I ride much better andI am now more aware of things around me when I am riding or driving.

We all can use some re-training occasionally. Now that is my opinion, thanks for reading.

Your Friend,

John D.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.