Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short and to the point. I'm looking for feedback from any of you that have changed the OEM ignition trigger wheel with one that is advanced by 4 degrees on a 1500 engine.

1. Is there a noticeable improvement in fuel economy, horsepower, and torque?

2. Have you had any starter problems that could be traced to the spark being advanced?

3. What is the approximate beer to cuss ratio in the installation of the trigger wheel assuming you're very mechanically inclined. :cheers::yelling:

Thanks.

Dane :15magenta:

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
I think someone else will be along to tell u for sure that the 96 is already advanced from the factory. I don't remember how much.
I didn't really notice any improvement in mpg because i didn't have my 88 very long yet at the time to get an accurate input. It does ping SOMETIMES with 87 octane from some stations, so i usually get 89. It needed belts so i changed the trigger wheel at the same time just because i had it apart.
Just a little more to take off than changing the belts.
My mpg was not consistent so i wanted to try something.
I found that with NGK iridiums my mpg is definitely more consistent- I will be flamed for saying that. lol Works for my 88 anyhow for whatever reason.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I can't say much about the 4 degree trigger wheel, as I don't have one on my bike. However, I do have a rather unique ability to change the timing any way I would like at any point in the rpm range with my laptop. I can tell you that the engine does like more timing at idle. In my experience it makes for more torque and stronger acceleration in the lower rpms.

There are some here who have used the 4 degree trigger wheels, and I'm sure they'll chime in soon. The only thing I might be a little concerned about would be that a 4 degree trigger wheel is a mechanical way to fool the ECU. Meaning that it may also cause it to be 4 degrees further advanced at full advance than normal. I suppose this could cause some spark knock, but I don't know.... I've never had a problem with preignition on my Wing, and it advances at some points up to 38 degrees. I have no idea what the stock timing is.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Did the mod on my 88 last year while changing the belts.
Not much of a big deal really, hardest part was getting the retaining nut off after it had been on tight there for those many years.
Did it to get rid of the off idle stall, rather than going deep surgery and tearing the carbs - though still on my to do list 'some day'.
Like mentioned, only for the earlier models (88 / 89?).
Got rid of the off idle stall, and runs fine. Don't get any knock either running regular either.
Zero difference on mpg or torque, but that wasn't the reason I did it.
Running iridium NGK's also, runs fine but I can't really tell much difference, maybe I'll get a few more miles before I change em?
As far as any mods for torque and mpg, I'm a believer that much of anything other than clean fluids, plugs & filters are most likely snake oil items.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
.....1. Is there a noticeable improvement in fuel economy, horsepower, and torque?

2. Have you had any starter problems that could be traced to the spark being advanced?

3. What is the approximate beer to cuss ratio in the installation of the trigger wheel assuming you're very mechanically inclined......
A quick search of this site will bring you LOTS of info on this topic.

1) My experience with the 4 degree advance trigger wheel on my 1988: Gave me worse mileage, no noticable power increase anywhere in the RPM range, gave me a nasty flat spot at about 2K, and made me run higher octain gas too (did not run well on regular). The maker said it would fix my off idle issue; it did not.

2) No, never had a starter issue.

3) Its a little bit of a pain unless you use an impact gun, then its really easy.

IMHO: JUNK, and a waste of time and money! I put the stock one back on when I did my carb.s and the bike runs great from idle to 5K. I have found that most people that said it helped their bike had also done some tune-up stuff at the same time so it can be argued that the other items might be to thank for the results.

....Did it to get rid of the off idle stall.....
An off idle "stall" is different from the "hesitation" that they are known for. Did it stop the stall AND the hesitation, or just the "stall"?

Bill

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I was looking at this mod. myself.

My 93 runs good as it is now and thought this 4 degree wheel might give it a little more pip! But after seeing and reading what has been posted here I think it will be fine the way she is. When I see questions like this I really need to see pos feed back from the group before I jump on it.
Glad I did not order this item AND the question came up here.

2 thumbs up for the Org. poster.....:claps::bow:

Kurt

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the replies and keeping me from throwing money out the window and wasting my time changing this part for nothing. :bow:

My Wing runs great and gets about 39 mpg, but thought IF this would improve fuel mileage it might have been worth a shot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.