Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

Well, in the course of rebuilding my bike I found a set of turn downs for my bike on eBay and bought them. They were from an 81 or 82 Interstate (the fellow couldn't be sure, was selling for someone else), but said they would fit.

Well, I got them yesterday, and they're nice but I can't exactly see how to attach them. They don't quite fit all the way over the muffler...and there isn't a good hard point connection. All I can see is one screw hole at the bottom, near where the lip of the factory exhaust might be. The muffler and new extension sort of look like the attached sketch.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I thought of just a pipe hanging clamp, but seems like it would rattle. Should there be some sort of gasket or other material between the extension an the stock muffler?

Jack
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
140 Posts
imported post

I have a pair of turn downs like you have drawn and there is just a bolt in the bottom that snugs up to the muffler. I dont know if this is right but when I bought my bike last year they were on it, and dont seem to rattle. I might add mine is an 84 1200.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
393 Posts
imported post

I have a set of turn downs on my 1500 that look exactly like your drawing. Chief43 is correct, there should be a bolt at the bottom of the turn downs that allows a good fit to the standard exhaust (muffler), there should beno need for a gasket. Bear in mind though, the turn down does create extra back pressure which can reduce the efficiency of the bike, I have noticed a drop in fuel efficiency since fitting mine, and a number of people I know have complained aboutthe same thingsince fitting turn downs.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

GreenWing wrote:
I have a set of turn downs on my 1500 that look exactly like your drawing. Chief43 is correct, there should be a bolt at the bottom of the turn downs that allows a good fit to the standard exhaust (muffler), there should be no need for a gasket. Bear in mind though, the turn down does create extra back pressure which can reduce the efficiency of the bike, I have noticed a drop in fuel efficiency since fitting mine, and a number of people I know have complained about the same thing since fitting turn downs.
I wondered about that at first, but when I got them and checked them over I found that it's just such a clear shot from the stock exhaust out the dual port at the rear. I can't imagine that there would be much added backpressure, if any. I'll definitely be on the lookout for it though. Heck, I'd have just settled for a single curved extension, but they are getting harder to find for the 1100.

Thanks guys!

Jack
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
720 Posts
imported post

I helped to fit a set to a GL1200,similar to those in your picture. There were two metal half-moon shaped spacers for each extension and you pushed them between the new extension and the old tailpipe and slid the extension ofver them. The spacers took up the gap between the tailpipe and the wider extension. I think you are missing them.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey 03Silver, :clapper:Congrats on your promotion to Active Member. :clapper:These "Gurus" dont see these small things, :whip: but all promotions count. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
286 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hey 03Silver,Congrats on your promotion to Active Member. These "Gurus" dont see these small things, but all promotions count.
You're TOP POSTER title is still safe Redwing. Ambrose has a way to go before he is a threat.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
612 Posts
imported post

Ambrose has a point. I've seensimilar extensionsin old catalogs years ago and the picture showed the mounting hardware. I wondered what the semi-circular things were for, now I know!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

03Silver wrote:
I helped to fit a set to a GL1200, similar to those in your picture. There were two metal half-moon shaped spacers for each extension and you pushed them between the new extension and the old tailpipe and slid the extension ofver them. The spacers took up the gap between the tailpipe and the wider extension. I think you are missing them.
Great...well, I guess it's time to get creative! :) :D

Jack
 

·
The Irish Crew
Joined
·
3,932 Posts
imported post

The extensions on my GL1100 are like that. Two half moon spacers take up the gap between the old tailpipe and the new extenstion, but there is also a slot in the extensions with a bolt for tightening the extensions over the spacers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
The extensions on my GL1100 are like that. Two half moon spacers take up the gap between the old tailpipe and the new extenstion, but there is also a slot in the extensions with a bolt for tightening the extensions over the spacers.

Any chance you have a diagram or pic of these spacers, so I can fabricate my own?

Jack
 

·
The Irish Crew
Joined
·
3,932 Posts
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:
FitzAl wrote:
The extensions on my GL1100 are like that. Two half moon spacers take up the gap between the old tailpipe and the new extenstion, but there is also a slot in the extensions with a bolt for tightening the extensions over the spacers.

Any chance you have a diagram or pic of these spacers, so I can fabricate my own?

Jack
I'll try and loosen the pinch bolt and slide the extension away next week Jack. If the bolts comes out without breaking from rust I'll do a template of the spacers for you. Please note that my extensions are straight out with a slight turndown, they don't taper like yours.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
jsmith24 wrote:
FitzAl wrote:
I'll try and loosen the pinch bolt and slide the extension away next week Jack. If the bolts comes out without breaking from rust I'll do a template of the spacers for you. Please note that my extensions are straight out with a slight turndown, they don't taper like yours.



Thanks! I can't believe how helpful you folks are. Thanks again, FitzAl!



Jack
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top