Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have finally got my goldwing in my shed but it needs a lot of work over the winter to return it to the road .
As a result I will have to get it on and of the centre stand lots and lots

How the h**l do you do that without giving yourself a double hernia ( I thought I was going to collapse the side of the shed yesterday when it finally came off)

There must be some tips or tricks someone can give to ease me into the way of things (I hope), short of spending the next six months in the Gym and trying again, I am after all an unfit 'old fart' and proud of it

the only way I managed last night was to rock it forwards several times to gain momentum until it finally went over and came off almost propelling me through the shed!!

Or could it just be I am well out of practice after having been off bikes for many years

Any ideas gratefully accepted and tried

By the way it an 1100 interstate

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
imported post

Hi, easy for me with my 1500 , I just straddle the bike and push foreward no problems , how close are you to the"TOON"

Art.

·
Administrator
26,163 Posts
imported post

When I first got my 83 the PO said don't use the center stand but I just had to try it and when I did it leaned over to the right and was almost impossible to get off the stand. The problem was the frame piece it mounts to was rusted and broken causing the stand to lean back too far. I straightened and welded it with some braces and then it was easy to get off the stand.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Hi there make sure you have plenty of air in the rear suspension at least 45psi , then use right hand on the rail by the pannier ,left hand on the handle bar ,right foot on the center stand lever and push forward. To put back on the same as but pull up with right hand and push down with right foot. :waving::waving::waving:ps eat 3 shredded wheat.:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Good morning and Merry Christmas. Welcome to the best web site for GW info on the web. Don't feel bad about having difficulty getting your baby off the CS, I am and old farrt also and I have not mastered getting mine up on the CS yet, but I am still trying. Have a very merry Christmas and a safe and happy New Year. Ride saft.

Ritchie& Lyn :waving:

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

before crippling yourself too much just check that the mounting areas have not rusted through. You could just be having problems because of this. In blighty these tend to rust away very nicely and on the rebuild of my 1980 one a lot of welding and fabrication needed to be done.

My advice would be to use axle stands for the rebuild as these are more stable in the confines of the shed.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Bondy wrote:
Hi, easy for me with my 1500 , I just straddle the bike and push foreward no problems , how close are you to the"TOON"

Art.
:waving: Hi Art
About 7 miles from the town centre, just west of the metro centre along the valley

And thanks to all for the advice, I hope it just takes practice not the 'muscles of Garth' cos there is no way I'll end up with them at my age :)

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

As mentioned, it helps to have the suspension aired-up. You may even benefit from a piece of wood under the rear tire. ( 1/2" or so). Mostly it's just techneque and practice.

Welcome from your sister city across the waves, a bit further than 7 miles from the town center.... :gunhead:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.