Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Planning on a trip to London in October. Here is my question...would it make sense for me to rent a scooter/motorcycle for a couple days to see the countryside...or would driving in London and surrounding areas be too much for someone who isn't used to their laws, traffic, etc?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The traffic is very heavy in London and that would be my main concern for you if you are not used to bumper to bumper traffic all day long. What is the Oklahoma City traffic like? If it is heavy and you are used to riding in those conditions, you might be fine here.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

we wouldn't have bumper to bumper all day around here, but I have rode in some big cities on occasion. do you know of any places that rent bikes?

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Was in London last year............verrrrry entertaining watching bikes in traffic. First of all traffic has to be seen to be believed and I have driven in heavy traffic a lot here in North America - London traffic is congested! In an odd way, sheer pandemonium but with a heavy dose of situational awareness not displayed in North America.

Not sure what the law actually is, but the practice is for bikes to filter thru traffic to the head of the line at lights and the race is on to the next light one block down when the green hits!

In my view, most of us would be eaten for lunch in London, myself included (and I drove emergency vehicles in heavy traffic for thirty years!)...............In Paris - even worse!

Outside of the city, a completely different story. Drivers are very kind and courteous, traffic IS fast and the countryside is beautiful. Be a disappointment not to get out of the
city to see some of it.

Have fun - I sure did!

T.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Let's see. If we drive on the right side , then they must drive on the wrong side.

Right?

;)

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I am used to bumper to bumper traffic, but I would not be comfortable riding in the UK. They drive on the wrong side of the road, I wonder what else is different?

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

In London use the public transportation, it is cheap, reliable, and very efficient. Outside London go for it.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

unionjk wrote:
In London use the public transportation, it is cheap, reliable, and very efficient. Outside London go for it.
Absolutely agree, London's public transit, both buses and "The Tube" are fantastic, if a little intimidating to figure out. Once you do.........

T.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

FeButter wrote:
Let's see. If we drive on the right side , then they must drive on the wrong side.

Right?

;)
No its you guys that drive on the wrong side of the road

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

britman wrote:
FeButter wrote:

Right?

;)
No its you guys that drive on the wrong side of the road
Thats exactly right actually, Americans drive on the wrong side, and they did just because it was un-British, but only in the 13 states of the Union to start with.

The last State to go over to the wrong side was (if i'm not mistaken) Illinois in the '20s.

In Europe driving on theh right was "forced" by Napolean, not because it was any better, but just coz he was a little s**t.

The reason for driving on the left in the first place was so that when you drew your weapon (cavalary) you pass each other with your sword in the right hand.

This is also the reason you should always have your "damsel" on your right hand side, so that if you draw your sword you don't cut her in half or lop off her head.

That being said, London is hell to drive through if you don't know the way. It is very very "compact". It is certainly different than any city i've ever driven through, and I'm British !!!

Dave.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Actually its easier for us to drive on the wrong side it makes more sense. The brits must have had quite a few lefthanders in the old days. The shifter on The Right side makes better sense to me. Hahahhaha.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

Just wondering..
1. If your damsel is on the right, wouldn't she be in the way of your sword? I assume you are both in a cart, since you wouldn't be side by side on horse back.
2. Why do American boats have wheels on the right side?

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

A lot of fun answers, but seriously, come on over, rent a scoot and don't worry about riding on the wrong side. Copy the natives riding style and enjoy seeing England from a motorcycle. When I go to France, etc, I have the same problem to overcome, riding on the wrong side. The two most confusing things are roundabouts and a left turn. I just have to remember to negotiate both the opposite side to normal!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

My advice in London is to use the Tube and then WALK!! You can quickly get to wherever you want and economically too.

Driving in London is NUTS.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

And parking can be a real bear...............not to mention the days you can't legally enter the city core - something about about traffic decongestion (Have I got that right?).

In any case only had to pay one fine for having our rental car somewhere in the downtown core when apparently it was not permitted.............got pictures of the offence long after returning to North America! You guys got traffic cameras everywhere!

:readit: T.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

tnoort wrote:
You guys got traffic cameras everywhere!

:readit: T.
Apparently, more cameras than anywhere else on the planet, and they are capable of automatically following a car through a great deal of the city.

Of course, it's all there for your "safety" ;)

Dave.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,722 Posts
imported post

That's way I am going to build myself an 007 license plate holder.

Tap a switch and it changes to something else. :badgrin:

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
imported post

There are no days when cars are not allowed into the city, it's just that you have to pay every time you enter the so-called "congestion zone". If you don't pay within a certain time you get fined.

I'm English and I wouldn't drive in London these days unless I really, really had to. Apart from the congestion the place is laid out like a rabbit warren with lots of small roads and one-way streets.

If you want to get out into the country (and I recommend you do) catch a train to somewhere and rent a car from the station at your destination. Or go back to Heathrow or Gatwick airport and rent a car from there. The airports are quite a distance out of the city and are next to motorways (freeways) so you can pretty much just hit the road and go.

There are probably places to rent bikes or scooters in London but I don't know of any so you'd need to Google that for yourself.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Jimac has it right..... rent at the airport and don't go downtown. Hop on the freeway and gone.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
That's way I am going to build myself an 007 license plate holder.

Tap a switch and it changes to something else. :badgrin:
You could try.

The problem is that the coverage is SO comprehensive you'd probaly get caught when they change.

Then there's the facial recognition software........ push a switch and change your head ?

Hah, you guys think Big Brother is watching YOU ?

Dave.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.