Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

By next May I want to purchase my first Gold Wing. I'm budgeting up to $10k and am looking for a 1996 or newer 1500. I would like it to have less than 60k miles. Preferrably less than 30k miles. I would like it to be red orwine colored, but if I find a deal on a black one, I'll buy it.

Is there a particular year or years I should avoid? Should I spend a little more and get a newer 1800? Would the insurance be quite a bit more on an 1800? Would I most likely find a better deal in the winter months (I'm in Michigan) than if I wait until the spring?

I currently have two Suzuki Intruders. A 1994 1400 and a 1996 800. I put 34k miles on the 1400 the past five years I have owned it and 26k miles on the 800 (mainly rode the 800 from 2001-2004). I intend to sell the 800. I don't ride it much.

The 1400 Intruderdoes fine for solo riding. However, my girlfriend can't ride much over 30 miles on the back w/o getting cramped up. Thus, the GW would be used for two up. A friend of mine has a 96 1500. She rode on the back and loved it. We might make some weekend trips, but I doubt we would be on the road for several days at a time. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

For 10 large you should be able to have your pick of the stable.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

For that kind of bling you could probably get an early model 1800 unless your mind is set on a 1500.

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Get a 2000. You should be able to find one with lower mileage, even at that price...

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Ross Man wrote:
We might make some weekend trips, but I doubt we would be on the road for several days at a time. Any advice would be appreciated.
Um,,,,,,,, yeah,,,, you say that now,,,,,,,,, how would you like your crow cooked??? :cool:

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

PS,,,,,,,,,,,,, Sell the lawn mower :action:

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

My wife always says they ought to make a lawn mower attachment for the wing... then I might actually get the lawn mowed... I keep telling her, only when our yard is 3ft wide and 1000miles long.....

·
Registered
517 Posts
imported post

I suggest you read some of the threads comparing the 1500 and the 1800. they are very different bikes.

at the $ you're talking you probably have the option of either one particularly in MI (which is more depressed economically than the rest of america and in the winter to boot!)

Both are as indestructible as an iron ball. The GL1500 is more of a two wheeled RV; The 1800 is practically a sport tourer in comparison. GL1500 has more luggage space. GL1800 handles much better and has lower seat height. both are great bikes that will give years of service.

if you buy one mid winter in MI make sure you ask how it was prepped for storage. If it was simply parked you might have to deal with bad gas problems which can get costly.

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

I happen to know of a beautiful 98 black chromed out.. many new parts and really really babied :D click link below for picture :waving:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.