Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What do you guys use to hold the plastic pieces to the fairing that rely on "friction" to hold them in place? You know where they fit over a screw?

A couple of the pieces on my Wing don't quite fit as tight as they should and I'm afraid they may fall off one day.

Is there something that would hold them on and allow for easy removal when needed?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
imported post

:pYou might try a few coats of clear fingernail polish at the friction point to thicken the plastic slightly. Be sure and let it dry completely before you re-install.:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a job for "SUPER VELCRO" :)
just kidding

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

One thought might be to consider that silicon rubber stuff. I think I would avoid the "RTV" (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) type, as it seems to grip rather too well for your application. You've probably seen, or even used it before. It is available in small squeeze-tubes, and in several colors... :waving:

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well, I would post a picture but I have seen threads where posting pictures takes up too much bandwidth. A discussion I don't want to get involved in because I have my opinions on the subject and I'll just let it go at that.

One part is the black trim piece that is at the rear of the side running light on each side of the fairing(s). Two pieces, one long one and the short one that is at the rear of the light. The short one is held in place by friction....wedged on the screw head. The front piece clips in.

The other piece(s) are the ones in the bottom corners on each side of the bike....one end "clips" in the other is pushed over the head of the screw. These have to be removed in order to remove the lower side fairing that has the outlet vents for the cooling fans.

These parts are just on 1500s....no?

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Super velcro is not a bad idea, but velcro bought from a sewing store would be ideal. The male and female parts would be glued to the faring and the part in question then simply press together. To remove pull apart. Easy clean and would last 5 half years

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Ok, I agree that they are not the best fastening type system.

Luckily, I have not lost any of them yet, but I do share the same concern.

I am more worried about them bigger side covers. My plan would be to attach a lanyard/cable, but I am a procrastinator.

Maybe the same concept could be applied by installing a hidden cable/line.

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
imported post

I have a couple of screw covers that are loose as well but they dont concern me as much as a couple a hundred bucks for a side cover. I bought new grommets and they are very tight and secure. I considered cables to hold the panels if they poped off but now I dont think I will need that with the new grommets. I will try the nail polish idea on the friction parts like the screw covers. Thanks

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Actually those aren't friction. They have a small rib and a detent to snap into.

One thing I have done is I get an undersized nylon washer and put it under the black part. This raises the black part slightly away from the trim and still allows you to tighten it down. This will also allow the cap to seat better and in farther.
This only works if the edge of the washer does not exceed the width of the base of the black part.

If the rib is worn down or the part is badly formed, then just replace it with a new one.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks again everyone.

I have some "pliable" sealer that is used to seal jonts on metal buildings.....comes in rolls and is quite tenacious in it's stickability but will allow parts to be removed.

I may use just a small dab of the stuff on the lower trim pieces on both sides of the bike.

I'm anxious to ride the bike as I also installed my new windshield yesterday that has a vent but it looks as if Mother Nature is not going to go along with that idea!:(

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

ThFireman wrote:
I have a couple of screw covers that are loose as well but they dont concern me as much as a couple a hundred bucks for a side cover. I bought new grommets and they are very tight and secure. I considered cables to hold the panels if they poped off but now I dont think I will need that with the new grommets. I will try the nail polish idea on the friction parts like the screw covers. Thanks
Yup...I was planning to do the same thing, but when I replaced my side cover grommets this year, I also decided it was no longer necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

ddrumman2004 wrote:
Well, I would post a picture but I have seen threads where posting pictures takes up too much bandwidth. A discussion I don't want to get involved in because I have my opinions on the subject and I'll just let it go at that.

One part is the black trim piece that is at the rear of the side running light on each side of the fairing(s). Two pieces, one long one and the short one that is at the rear of the light. The short one is held in place by friction....wedged on the screw head. The front piece clips in.

The other piece(s) are the ones in the bottom corners on each side of the bike....one end "clips" in the other is pushed over the head of the screw. These have to be removed in order to remove the lower side fairing that has the outlet vents for the cooling fans.

These parts are just on 1500s....no?

Thanks guys!
just use silicone

mark:waving:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

zimmerleemark wrote:
just use silicone

mark:waving:
Silicone adhesive will work but it will also rust the screw heads.
Velcro is too thick.
Automotive emblem tape would probably be the best compromise.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

ddrumman2004 wrote:

One part is the black trim piece that is at the rear of the side running light on each side of the fairing(s). Two pieces, one long one and the short one that is at the rear of the light. The short one is held in place by friction....wedged on the screw head. The front piece clips in......
One thing that is not always evident is that these three screws (per side) under these trim pieces are not identical... they are all the same size and will screw in just fine, but the front two are round head and the rear-most is a cylindrical head (phillips cap screw). The trim piece will not hold in place if you have a round head in this position... I had the same problem until I realized that the screws were in the wrong place.. now they are fine... SDB/Jim

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I realize the screws are different. I make it a point to mark where all screws/bolts come from because I learned a long time ago that if you didn't,.....well....I won't go there! LOL!

I used the rolled caulking I had, just a tiny bit under each piece and that works. They pull off with a little effort but now I'm not afraid of losing one.

Thanks again everyone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.