Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Back in college at the UofIowa there was a huge parking crunch, and a motorcycle was the only vehicle I could feasibly own. I started out on a cheap, throwaway, 1980 cb650c that had been horribly abused. In Iowa you have to have a motorcycle to take the liscensing test on, so its like a catch-22. Can't testride without a liscence, can't get a liscence without a bike. Anyhow, a few months later I fell in love with a '80 GL1100. I bought it for $1100 around 2004, and can't remember ever being happier with a vehicle. I had to sell it to pay tuition. In 2007 I got my first 'real job' and wanted a brand new shiny bike. I'm honda loyal (generators, pressure washers, any small engine, including motorcycles) so I got an '07 VTX1300R. I've been very dissapointed. Its not comfortable to ride, and I don't like the powerband on the Vtwin. It's mechanically perfect, PERFECT, but I don't like the design. If I wanted a harly I'd have bought one. Anyhow, I found a '81 GL1100I at a ford dealership. It looks very clean, small cracks in the fairing, the lower mounts for both lower fairing pieces are broken. Everything is there, locks, etc work great. I havn't ridden it yet. What's this bike worth? What mechanical issues should I watch out for?

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thats great advice on what to look for, but how do prices line up here in the old USofA? I can feel my "I don't care what it costs I want that bike" voice rising, but I'd rather not get taken advantage of just because its a re-incarnation of my first love.

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Since we live close to each other ( I live in Dubuque) the price should be not more than $1200... In the condition you described I would check out the guard bottoms for scratches like it was laid over. See if/when the timing belts where changed and a maintenance history (oil changers/fluid changes ect)

How are the tires? Make sure they did not use anything on them to "shine" them up. See if you can contact the previous owner. :waving:

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

+1 Digger....they are also all over the place(1100's) on craigslist right now...if you find any in dsm area u need checked out for ya let me know...

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
imported post

Just be vigilant in your search for an old Goldwing, and you will find a great deal. There are several of them out there! The 81 GL1100 that I bought had 33,000 on it, no broken or missing parts an was in very nice condition! I got it from an old guy that had 3 heart attacks. I gave $750 for the bike!

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

CBH wrote:
Just be vigilant in your search for an old Goldwing, and you will find a great deal. There are several of them out there! The 81 GL1100 that I bought had 33,000 on it, no broken or missing parts an was in very nice condition! I got it from an old guy that had 3 heart attacks. I gave $750 for the bike!
:ROFL:you didnt buy that bike--- you stole it. :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
imported post

Hey those profs at Hawkeye land teach you to spell it Liscense? Bwaaaa!!! Just kidding my word that I can never get right is "their" always spell it "thier". If it wasn't for spell check I would do it every time. Please take this as a jest not a poke in the eye. I have a good friend that is super intelligent and a good business man that consistently spells business as bussiness. Just one of those bad habits one gets into and can't break. Funny stuff.Glad to see I am not the only one that does this.:waving:

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

ceasefire49 wrote:
Hey those profs at Hawkeye land teach you to spell it Liscense? Bwaaaa!!! Just kidding my word that I can never get right is "their" always spell it "thier". If it wasn't for spell check I would do it every time. Please take this as a jest not a poke in the eye. I have a good friend that is super intelligent and a good business man that consistently spells business as bussiness. Just one of those bad habits one gets into and can't break. Funny stuff.Glad to see I am not the only one that does this.:waving:
hukd on foniks werx for mi!!:ROFL: I love spell checker:readit:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.