Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

There is something funny with either my clutch or my transmission. Sometimes it's like I pyhsically have to stand on my shifter to gear down(down only) and then wala some days it just shifts very easy and smooth, I'm in smooth mode right now:jumper:but when it gets hard to shift I can't even get it into neutral until I have stopped and turned off the bike.:pIt definitly is a PITA. Any ideas.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

could be jamming up at the external shift mechnism which is the cam and spring assembly just inside the front cover near the oil filter/water pump.... but first, I would just try changing out your oil and do the oil change with a quart of MMO, run it a couple of =hundred miles, then change again

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

The oil is quite critical and the clutch does not like infrequent oil changes. The difficulity changing down is just the clutch plates not quite dis engaging. or clutch lag. Make sure the clutch is adjusted correctly as well. It is very unlikely to be internal to the gears unless your standing on the gear leaver is very serious in wjich case you could bend the selectors in the box!! not good.Just out of interest I change my oil and filter every 2500 but mine is very long in the tooth.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Well you know last week I did adjust the clutch because sometimes I would stop and seemed like bike wanted to still roll a little, I thought maybe the clutch wasn't pulled all the way in, That seems to be about the time my shifting got better. lol I guess we will wait and see.:D

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

The clutch has to disengage in order to downshift well. Another person here on the forum had the same trouble and tried everything. He changed out the clutch plates etc. Turned out to be the scavenge oil pump inlet was blocked up by clutch disc material and there was too much oil in the clutch cavity causing the clutch to drag badly. Especially after the engine warmed up...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.