Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know Honda sells a special tool for pressing in the steering head bearing, and I've seen some aftermarket tools listed for around $75. But I hate to spend that kind of $$ on a one-time use tool. Is there any secret trick to changing that bearing without the special tool?

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

Find a large socket or piece of pipe or something that is just smaller than the bearing race OD or you can use the old race to drive the new one in tapping around it to make sure it goes in straight. When you put it back together tighten the nut a good bit more than the torque value and work the steering back and forth while tightening then back it off and torque to spec. This will keep you from having to take it apart and retorque it.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I had to make a 'special tool' to remove the lower bearing race out of the steering head tube and I used this same 'tool' with an additional, larger washer, in combination of the old bearing race, to drive the new bearings home.

You can read about it HERE.

Dusty

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

That bent 'drift' with a filed 'notch' on it didn't work for me ... not even close. :?

I suspect the steering head bearing removal processis similar to all models he has listed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.