Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Well, I took the Aero Peg for a 2600 mile tour and this is my story.

Bad Points:

1) The peg is to short, the width of my size 13 D boot Sidi Boots are to wide for the Peg, needs to be at least 2-3 inches wider, longer.

2) My calf's rest on the hot air exhaust from the radiators and gets very hot, it also diverts hot air onto your sitting position from the hot air going up and around your leg.

3) I could not open the Pegs on the fly with my boots or shoes, so you have to reach down with your hands to pull them out or have them out and ready to use before you ride, but you can close them with your foot on the fly.

Good Points:

1) The quality of the Aero Peg is very good and may last the lifetime of the bike.

2) It is integrated seamlessly with the valve cover, looks good and is very easy to install.

3) During very aggressive riding the Aero Peg will not scrape or touch the ground.

4)It is better than nothing but, with some minor improvements may be one of the best out there.

5) My sitting position is to high up with the Pegs , but in fairness , I am going to install risers and see if that helps. ( pain between shoulders )

6) During my trip I was in a hotel when a strong storm with high winds knocked my bike over in the parking lot while I watched from the window , bike was on an slight incline on the side stand, when I went out to look to see what happen, I was lucky the crash bars did the job and the Aero Peg was not touched, no damage anywhere. I guess the rain cover acted like a sail.

Overall I would say it's a good design, but needs improvement, your mileage may very.

This is my honest opinion and assessment of the Aero Peg.

Attachments

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

well done wingpass that is a very good assement

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

its the week end a lot of guys are out rideing or with there familes and only log on in work give it time i like the pegs but your comments have made me think twice for that amount of bucks they need to be practical

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

I rather suspected they would be too close to the engine, and that's why I recommended getting a first hand look before purchasing. My Kury Longhorns stand out further, and even they are at a bare minimum clearance to suit me.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I wanted something that was attractive and looked like it belongs on the bike from the factory, so I was willing to accept some trade-offs, and I think with a few minor changes it could be a great Peg.

The reason I don't cite the $300 price is that I don't want some cheap knock-off from China.

My buying is very limited these day, not because of money issues, more because I have a hard time finding quality products, I will not buy from China unless there are no other options, or I do without.;)

That said,there may be some riders that like the Aero Peg as is, time will tell.

One thing I always do is give a honest opinion, If I spend big bucks on something I am not going to give it 5 stars because I don't want to admit I purchased something that was junk and am embarrassed or feel stupid that I purchased it.

At the present time I am looking into installing some risers and maybe a back rest or even a Russell seat, if interested I will be happy to post my impressions of these items as I install and use them.

I enjoy trying to contribute to this board as i enjoy reading the fine and sometimes entertaining post on Steve's Board.

Ride safe and enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Im very interested in the pegs but can't seem to see how they or any others will be comfortable for me. I have long legs, stand 6'2". When on the 1800 and put my legs out it seems the pegs would have to stick out 12". Size 12-13 feet don't help also. The Aero peg is great quality and made here in North America but can't see it working for me. Tony:waving:

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

wingpass wrote:
Thanks, looks like not to many people are interested in these Pegs, oh well.:)
I don't have any interest in highway pegs at all, but I'm open to any changes in my feelings about them in the future. Maybe my lower back is the exception rather than the rule, but I'm considerably more comfortable riding (or driving) with my legs in a more bent and athletic position. In fact when driving my cages for long distance trips, I'm often struggling to tuck my feet back to relieve the stress in my back which you just don't want to do with your pedal foot so I put up with a lot of discomfort. On my Hondapotimus I never seem to be seeking leg stress relief. However, getting off at the occasional rest area doesn't hurt. The Goldwing seems to be a more comfortable ride with the oem pegs than anything I can think to add.
That being said, I do like the looks of the Aeropegs.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The Aero Peg would be way to high to be comfortable for me. I've got Kuryakyn ISO pegs mounted on the vertical front part of my engine guards pretty much the same as Geezerglider and they are still a bit too far forward and high. and I've still managed to grind them.I had them on the lower horizontal part of engine guard but that was impossible, they hit the road way too much and too hard. The Aero Peg costs around the same as the Mik-O-Peg which looks to me like a much better idea, I don't know if they fit on an 1800 but they'd give you a good position to take the kinks out of the knees and instantly retract when you take your feet off for the twisties. For me $300 for either is way too much money.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Different strokes... several forum members have installed Mik-O-Pegs and like them.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

WingPass,

Thanks for the honest assessment. That's how it get's better.

I have a 'Touring' peg in CAD that is a different shape, longer peg (1")
and uses the same backbone. A larger foot bed is also a result.
This new design meets the minimum requirement of closing inside the
crash bars allowing the manufacturers bits to do their job.
Expect it in the line up soon.

I installed many pegs at WingDing and would say each person fits the
same thing differently. For some the pegs didn't work, that's usually
the long leg folks, while others just loved them. Even folks with the same
length legs may fit differently sometimes hip related. The bowed fairing
which everyone hates seemingly regardless of what they use effects us all
differently. Short legs with Baker Wings fit like a glove under both the
fairing and the B.Wings.

It is honestly another option among the choices you have for your bike.

I hope as this grows and like others the options expand you'll see that
each evolution includes refinements across function and comfort.

Kevin

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Has there been any improvement/modifications to these pegs. They sure look slick.

--
Gordon
Wingpass hasn't been on the forum since 7/24/09.

These pegs have been discontinued

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,505 Posts
Wingpass hasn't been on the forum since 7/24/09.

These pegs have been discontinued
yes, that is true.... I do not recall the circumstances but it seems that he kept ignoring hints on posting etiquette and a Admin banned him. Back in '09 banning was restricted to Admins with the old software.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.