Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm going to spend my downtime this winter in trying to figure out if there is anything I can buy or build that will help the aerodynamics on my Wing. Craig Vetters website has been helpful in understanding the effects and some ideas on design, but I want to try to work with the stock fairing and bags/trunk. Anybody have any suggestions or ideas? As an aside, can anyone report on the effects of adding something similar to 'Baker Wings' to their fairing? I'm getting a bit more buffeting than I'd like with the stock fairing and taller windshield. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

A super custom slick as glass paint job would help. jimsjinx

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Wouldn't something like "baker wings" take away from aerodynamics?

Just wondering.:waving:

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

SETHAN12 wrote:
Wouldn't something like "baker wings" take away from aerodynamics?

Just wondering.:waving:
Yes, I would have thought they would make things worse, like having barn doors on the Wing.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Shorter narrower windshield leaning back at a good angle, then adding a cover behind the drivers back to flow down behind the rear bags. Our bikes rears are hidiously designed aerodynamically, but if you could taper them down to a point/tail then you would get much better GPM.

Of course it would also look bizarre!

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

rounding out the nose a bit might help as well. Something like this might be interesting to see on a wing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Where are you getting the buffeting from? If it's coming at you from the back then it's probably that your tall windshield is too tall. The wind wings can clean up some of the air around the sides and widen the envelope of quite air around you. There is a company making a small air dam that fits to the trunk of the 1800 to keep the passenger from being buffeted by air coming back in. Don't know why that wouldn't work for the 1500 also.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
imported post

I think the fundamental problem on the gl1500 is that the fairing/windshield is so far in front of the rider. For me the stock windshield created too much of a depression behind the riders neck and the Windbender I replaced it with still creates some buffeting around the top of the helmet. I recently added an MRA spoiler to the top of the Windbender and that seems a bit better, but not perfect.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

Main problem I could see with that electric bike was there wasn't room for the blonde in the background.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.