Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey everybody.

Looking for a decent center stand dolly to maneuver my bike around the garage. I also don't want to pay exorbitant amounts of money on it, but don't want something thats going to fold under the pressure, if you catch my drift.

anyone? anyone? bueller?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
370 Posts
imported post

When this topic came up before, someone mentioned using a large pizza dish from your local pizza store.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
60 Posts
imported post

I built one for about 32.00 casters and material, has 900lb load limit and works ghreat on my 84 Interstate.
One word though you may have to place a 2x4 under the rear wheel to get you bike's centerstand up on this device.

matt0123 wrote:
Hey everybody.

Looking for a decent center stand dolly to maneuver my bike around the garage. I also don't want to pay exorbitant amounts of money on it, but don't want something thats going to fold under the pressure, if you catch my drift.

anyone? anyone? bueller?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
60 Posts
imported post

Casters are 225lbs rubber, good enough to have the bike on all winter and moves around great
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
308 Posts
imported post

200 dollars to turn the bike around? I will go with the pizza pan. LOL
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,303 Posts
imported post

Any one of your wife's best baking pans will work almost as well as those dollies will.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
60 Posts
imported post

Yes but with a Dolly even the wife can move my gl1200


unionjk wrote:
Any one of your wife's best baking pans will work almost as well as those dollies will.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,381 Posts
imported post

Yeah, It's $99.00 here. I just googled harbor freight then typed in dolly in the keyword on their site.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
246 Posts
imported post

HogansWing wrote:
:brokedown:That would be interesting to ride up on!
I have one, and I ride up on it daily...its not a big deal.
Even with the dolly, you still need considerable effort to spin around a 1200.

My little garage is too small to spin it around in, so I must do it outside.
My asphalt driveway needs to be replaced, so I have two 4X8 sheets of plywood on the ground for a smooth surface.

I always spin it counter-clockwise, first by gripping the rear crash bars on the right side, and then pulling on the left handgrip...in short, it works. I'm happy with mine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
465 Posts
imported post

ordonje wrote:
HogansWing wrote:
:brokedown:That would be interesting to ride up on!
I have one, and I ride up on it daily...its not a big deal.
Even with the dolly, you still need considerable effort to spin around a 1200.

My little garage is too small to spin it around in, so I must do it outside.
My asphalt driveway needs to be replaced, so I have two 4X8 sheets of plywood on the ground for a smooth surface.

I always spin it counter-clockwise, first by gripping the rear crash bars on the right side, and then pulling on the left handgrip...in short, it works. I'm happy with mine.
My garage floor is very smooth. I could just see it skating away from under the front wheel. Looks like those little dolly wheels don't have much traction. Glad it works for ya.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
246 Posts
imported post

HogansWing wrote:
ordonje wrote:
HogansWing wrote:
:brokedown:That would be interesting to ride up on!
My garage floor is very smooth. I could just see it skating away from under the front wheel. Looks like those little dolly wheels don't have much traction. Glad it works for ya.
They have a rod on either end that elevate the wheels off the ground for loading, then when you want to wheel it around, you use the rods again to drop the wheels down.

With the rear most rod, you have to crawl under the bike a bit to get to it.
When I leave for the day, I set the dolly up in loading position in front of my garage and ride right up on it when I return.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,405 Posts
imported post

We were looking at a high end version of one of those at a bike show and my wife (108 pounds soaking wet) asked how hard it was to push. It had a Harley Dresser on it.

The guy said "Try it" and she gave it a push just about sending the rig into the crowd.

I suspect that quality casters make a big difference.
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

Why not go with a bike jack and get a dual purpose tool? Harbor Freight has them often on sale below the online price in the link below. The handle removes by pulling out a pin so it doesn't stick out. I used one in my shop to turn bikes around and shift them into small spaces. The PO of my 1500 used to store it on a jack in his garage. Besides being able to move the bike around on the jack it's very handy for maintenance chores.



http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capacity-atv-motorcycle-lift-2792.html
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top