Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have been having a little weeping from the drain hole. Thought it might just be a pump seal. Are the vanes on the pump suposed to flop around like a crappie on ice? Just kidding I think the pump is shot. The housing has some scoring and about a third of the front of the vanes are worn away. Or so it look to me, have never seen the water pump on a 84 Aspy until now. This probably explains the hotter than I liked temp that I had posted about awhile back. Ordering a pump today, what all do I need to get? Does it come with the pump or do I order it seperately? Can I do it myself? I have it down to the radiator out and the pump cover off, looks like I need to drain the oil and pull the front cover off. Is this very hard, I am a little nervious about it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Randy

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Google... type in "Fourcylinderwings" pull it up and click on "Tech" then" "engines and something else?" , then click on "Rebuildind the un rebuildable waterpump" read article but ignore the "Rebuilding part" just the take off and install part!?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

hockeydad33 wrote:
I have been having a little weeping from the drain hole. Thought it might just be a pump seal. Are the vanes on the pump suposed to flop around like a crappie on ice? Just kidding I think the pump is shot. The housing has some scoring and about a third of the front of the vanes are worn away. Or so it look to me, have never seen the water pump on a 84 Aspy until now. This probably explains the hotter than I liked temp that I had posted about awhile back. Ordering a pump today, what all do I need to get? Does it come with the pump or do I order it seperately? Can I do it myself? I have it down to the radiator out and the pump cover off, looks like I need to drain the oil and pull the front cover off. Is this very hard, I am a little nervious about it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Randy
Sounds to me that you do indeed need a new pump, I'm surprised you haven't had oil and coolant mixing together with the impeller shaft that loose. You're on the right track, drain the oil, take off the cover and pull the pump out, it just pulls out of the engine. You'll need a new pump ($110 or so) and a new set of seals. The pump will come with the main seal installed in it, the seals you need are the water and oil seal which can be had as a set.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the replies. Will be calling for some prices locally or will order one on-line. Will drain the oil today and check the timing belts to see what shape they are in and try to replace those using all the info the forum has on that job. I had no oil in the water or water in the oil that I could tell, just water coming out of the weep hole. I was hoping to just replace the seals but when I moved the impellers around and saw the scoring on the cover I figured the pump was toast and time for a new one. After this job I have to track down the reason for the backfiring and popping in the exhaust and carbs. I was just driving down the road and that started happening, wasn't bad but an occasional pop. Went on vacation and when I got back the bike wouldn't run worth a popcorn fart. One plug is rather white, one plug is sootie. The plugs were from the right side. Front one was the sootie one. Will worry about that after the other jobs are done. can only tackle one at a time. Will ask for help when the time comes. Thanks

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Update: The front cover is off and I have the pump out of the housing I am a little concerned about getting everything to stay in place when I reassemble the front cover. I am very concerned about getting the neutral switch (at least that is what I think it is) lined up with the notches and the spline on the pump to mate to the spline on the oil pump shaft. Are there any tricks? Thanks

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I am having a hard time getting the gasket material off the engine block. Any tricks or suggestions on how to do this? Got all the material off the front cover and water pump cover, just need to clean up the engine and start reassembling. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

AZWinger wrote:
I used razor blades and patience. A lot of both! :waving:

Bob :11grey:
And do it GENTLY. Carve too much metal away and you won't get a good seal. I used white spirit to soften up the more solid bits.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
imported post

You might try the local auto parts store. Ask for a spray can of gasket remover. It is safe on metal and usually will make gaskets (including rubber gaskets)soften upto just wipe off or, at least, easier to scrape off. You can re-apply several times as you get the material off. Make sure not to get it on your paint! Have fun!

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thank you for the suggestions. I am having a hard time getting my paws up to work on the top part of the block, will try the gasket softener and a soft scotch brite pad and see how that goes. Wish I had a bike lift, I think that would make it easier to get at. Hope to get this done tonight or early morning, want to get riding again.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Got all the gasket crap off and reinstalled everything but the radiator. Will do that in the morning and then pray that when I fill it it doesn't leak. I appreciate the help from everyone. When I bought this bike if you would have told me I would be doing this kind of stuff I wouldnt have believed it but with your help and patience I have benn willing to give stuff like this a shot. Thanks everyone. Randy

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hey, everyone has to start sometime! The more you do the more confidence you'll have. When you get down to it, none of it's magic, tearing the whole bike and engine down until no two parts are together isn't impossible to anyone who's willing to work at it a bit. The silent six is a more complicated engine than a one lunger air cooled 250cc, but the principles are all the same. Glad to hear about your growing mechanical abilities! That goes for anyone who's picking up the tools, it adds another whole dimension to your appreciation of fine machinery!\

BTW I bet the radiator doesn't leak!

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks for your faith in me. Filled it up with water and antifreeeze (prestone extended life as you use) no leaks. Now to put all the parts back in and ride the rest of the day. I cannot express my gratitude enough for all the info and encouragement. I can't believe I did this and the timing belts. Now to ride and enjoy my work. Hopefully this will bring the temp down a couple of notches too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.