Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was riding to my parents house last week for Thanksgiving riding on a road that I have been down hundreds of times going through a corner that I have been around hundreds of times when my front tire hit gravel. Before I knew what was happening I was off the road heading towards a barbed wire fence. I chose to lay the bike down. 900lbs hits really hard! No damage to the Wing and I walked away with only a damaged ego. Luckly where I hit was rooted up by some hogs. Moral of the story is this....roads always change so stay aware of the changes.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,153 Posts
imported post

Been there, and have done that.

Staying aware just can't be over stressed.

Assuming we know the conditions can oh, so often, bite us hard.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
imported post

amen to that, John

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Twenty-six years it took ya to fall off yer bike.................you 'jes were not trying hard enough!

I suspect most of us bruised our egos LONG before that! Glad you're OK!

T.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yes indeed, I agree with tnoort. You just weren't trying hard enough. Glad to hear you and the GW weren't hurt badly.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

The gravel was a wake up for you to keep focused! Good things can come from the most unexpected places. Glad you and your Wing are OK!

Dubs

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
imported post

Glad your OK!! Been there donethat;)!! Do you think that's where they got the name,..... HOGS.......from? Somebody falling off an HD where Hogs had been rooting:cheesygrin::ROFL:!!! Couldn't pass it up:D!!

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

26 years, huh? I agree with the others - you haven't been trying hard enough!!!

Glad you're okay, and glad there's no real damage to the bike either.

You got a get-outta-jail free card. I got one a few years ago too. (Then I really muffed-up a GL1200 about a year and a half ago.)

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Another one to watch for is grass being thrown up on the road from someone mowing.................

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
imported post

Glad you and your wing are ok, you got lucky this time, you were able to ride away. did that several years ago but wasn't so lucky. keep your spirits up and ride.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I got a little squirrely on some unexpected gravel a couple of weeks ago, on a road I ride regularly. Caused a pucker mark in my seat. lol I'm glad you came out of yours with only a bruised ego!

John

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

Hopefully it will be another 26 years before you go down again.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
imported post

So glad you're ok - sounds like it could have been MUCH worse for both you and the scoot.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

Well its not "IF" but "WHEN". Not always your fault either lots of people distracted behind the wheel of cars.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Rusty is right, you got a "Get out of Jail" card free for you and your bike. Glad your both OK.

My son and I have our favorite road that we like to ride which has several 110 degree curves that are banked so you can come into it, nail second gear and roll through it fairly quickly. We go to the end o the road, about 6 miles, turn around and come back. The guy that lives on one of the curves has come out a couple of times and has thrown hand fulls of stone from his driveway out in the road........ Fortunately for us, on our way back, he over throws the stones to the lane we were on, on our way out, so only a few stones land in our lane. But we know what he des and prepare for it now...... But the first time we discovered this was a little hairy.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
imported post

It’s been a while since I had a bike down on the road. My last fall was at zero miles per hour in a parking lot with my wife on the back.

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
Rusty is right, you got a "Get out of Jail" card free for you and your bike. Glad your both OK.

My son and I have our favorite road that we like to ride which has several 110 degree curves that are banked so you can come into it, nail second gear and roll through it fairly quickly. We go to the end o the road, about 6 miles, turn around and come back. The guy that lives on one of the curves has come out a couple of times and has thrown hand fulls of stone from his driveway out in the road........ Fortunately for us, on our way back, he over throws the stones to the lane we were on, on our way out, so only a few stones land in our lane. But we know what he des and prepare for it now...... But the first time we discovered this was a little hairy.
I have not always been the paragon of Christian virtue that try to be now, so I still have my moments that would make a serious discussion if not an A$$ Whoopin come to that "gentlemans " life. :lash: Jay

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.