Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I just rebuilt my 1976 GL1000 carb array.

I am now noticing a 'sucking sound' coming from the carb that the air-cutoff valve attaches to.

The sound appears to be related to the air-cut off valve and the sound reduces with RPM.

I rebuilt the valve with the rebuild kit.

Am I supposed to get this sucking sound or did something go amiss with my rebuild?

Please help if you can. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
The cut valve is normally open. The vacuum line from the carb up to the valve is manifold vacuum. If the rubber diaphragm is not seated correctly, the small o ring cannot seal the two halves, and you will have a vacuum leak to atmosphere.
I found this out yesterday when I reinstalled my '78's. DOH!
If this is the case, it's easy to diagnose. The #1 carb has the vacuum line. It is clearly visible (on a naked wing). Pinch the line closed with a pair of needle nose pliers and see if the noise goes away. The rpm's changing would be a good indication as well.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Check the hose for leaks? Was the spring & diaphram installed correctly NT. upside down?

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

I checked to see if I put it in upside down, nope.

BUT I found that I had pinched one of the o-rings on the bottom.

However, after replacement, still had the sucking sound.

Further investigation reveled that when I tighten the hose clamp on the manafold rubber only a few turns past seated it starts leaking (sucking sound).

I backed it off to 1 turn past seated and things seem OK.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Put a smaller diameter hose on there.
Tightening it to the point of leaking is a indication that it is too large.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.