Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. 1991 GL1500se, had knee surgery. Bike sat for about 6 months. When I tried to start it for my first ride, there was a fuel leak. After checking, the carbs had dried out and there was a gap in a float bowl. Removed the carbs, did the carb rebuild, reinstalled the carbs. Wanted to make sure no more leak, put the key in, turn to ON. And ZERO pump sound. Did some troubleshooting, pump DOES work, rechecked all connections, checked all the fuses. But the pump will not prime the carbs, so the bike wont start.
Any ideas??? How can i fix this issue??? What did i forget??? Just to re-interate, the plastics are still off. Just the carbs installed.
Any help would be appreciated!!!!! Thank you!!!!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,744 Posts
quick jury rig.

bypass the petcock valve with a pipe nipple or piece of copper tubing.

remove seat,
remove black wire, jumper battery + to the pump.

at least the carbs will have gas in them

it is possible though, that the vacuum petcock diaphragm is leaking, and is not opening for you.

so just try the bypass trick first,
then jumper the pump if that is not enough.

·
It aint rocket science
3,955 Posts
The only model of 1500 that had the two second prime of fuel pump when key turned ON were the ones with a fuel pump relay and that was 1988 and 1989 model years. 1990 and up year fuel pumps were powered direct from ECM only when engine cranking or running.
With dry carbs it takes about 16 seconds or so of cranking to fill the bowls enough for engine start.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alrighty, then, UPDATE, so I did the test light thing between the blue wire on the fuel pump. I AM getting power from the ECM.
I also tried the "jump wire" trick to test the pump. The pump works. Now, I've got a second issue. The "jump wire" dropped off the tab, and then as I was grabbing it again, the jump wire touched both the blue wire and the tab, now the fuel pump STILL pumps, but it ignition start button will not work. What did I short out????
As for the fuel issue, I also checked the vacuum petcock valve, I did not see any tips and it was not stuck. MIGHT it be a vacuum tube UNDER the carbs I have connected wrong???
So, two questions now, 1. What did I short out? 2. The vacuum hose issue??
Thank you all once again

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,744 Posts
okay,
on vacuum operated valve,
hook a piece of hose to it, and suck on the hose.
does it hold vacuum, or bleed down on you.

the hose that was on it, should have vacuum while the starter is turn the engine over, is that present?

the fuel pump test per the manual, is a 3 ft high container and the pump should pump in approx 1 pint of fuel in 1 minute.... sort of going by memory now.

Courtesy of Dave Boher:
1988 – 2000 GL1500 Gold Wing’s

Fuel System Circuitry​

1. The Engine Control Module (ECM) pin # 21 provides voltage/power for the fuel pump. Reference: Fuel System Circuit Diagram “Fuel Pump Control Output” in the Honda service manual.

2. A black/blue wire goes from the ECM pin # 21 to a C 178 (4-pin white) connector located on top of the fuel tank.

Note: For the 1988 – 1989, the Fuel Pump Relay provides power to the fuel pump.

Located on the frame behind the right saddlebag.

3. A black/blue wire goes from the C 178 (4-pin white) connector to the In-Line Capacitor D located on top of the fuel tank.

4. A light blue wire goes from the In-Line Capacitor D back to the C 178 (4-pin white) connector located on top of the fuel tank.

5. A light blue wire goes from the C 178 (4-pin white) connector to a C 184 (1-pin black) connector located on top of the fuel tank.

6. A blue wire goes (from the terminal where the C 184 connector is plugged) directly to the fuel pump.

The Fuel System Circuit Diagrams and connectors can be referenced in the Honda Service Manuals.

Page 4-5 in the Gold Wing GL1500 Service Manual.

Page 3-2 in the Gold Wing GL1500 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (ETM).

Page 12-11 (photo 67) in the Gold Wing GL1500 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual

(ETM). (In the 1996 Manual)

Page 12-9 (photo 59) in the Gold Wing GL1500 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual

(ETM). (In the 1999 Manual)

Check for voltage/power at the C178 connector.

Check for voltage/power at the In-Line Capacitor D.

Check for voltage/power at the C184 connector.

Note: The In-Line Capacitor D is installed on all 1993 – 2000 SE models, other models

when adding a Hondaline CB radio.

If that Capacitor D is bad, the fuel pump will not have input voltage.

·
Administrator
26,948 Posts
Hard to imagine you did any damage by letting a hot wire touch the fuel pump wire but check your #11 fuse & the 5a inline fuse in a rubber cover to the left of the battery.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hard to imagine you did any damage by letting a hot wire touch the fuel pump wire but check your #11 fuse & the 5a inline fuse in a rubber cover to the left of the battery.
THANK YOU!! However, BOTH #11 and the 5a fuses are showing good.
Could it be the battery??????

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay,
on vacuum operated valve,
hook a piece of hose to it, and suck on the hose.
does it hold vacuum, or bleed down on you.

the hose that was on it, should have vacuum while the starter is turn the engine over, is that present?

the fuel pump test per the manual, is a 3 ft high container and the pump should pump in approx 1 pint of fuel in 1 minute.... sort of going by memory now.

Courtesy of Dave Boher:
1988 – 2000 GL1500 Gold Wing’s

Fuel System Circuitry​

1. The Engine Control Module (ECM) pin # 21 provides voltage/power for the fuel pump. Reference: Fuel System Circuit Diagram “Fuel Pump Control Output” in the Honda service manual.

2. A black/blue wire goes from the ECM pin # 21 to a C 178 (4-pin white) connector located on top of the fuel tank.

Note: For the 1988 – 1989, the Fuel Pump Relay provides power to the fuel pump.

Located on the frame behind the right saddlebag.

3. A black/blue wire goes from the C 178 (4-pin white) connector to the In-Line Capacitor D located on top of the fuel tank.

4. A light blue wire goes from the In-Line Capacitor D back to the C 178 (4-pin white) connector located on top of the fuel tank.

5. A light blue wire goes from the C 178 (4-pin white) connector to a C 184 (1-pin black) connector located on top of the fuel tank.

6. A blue wire goes (from the terminal where the C 184 connector is plugged) directly to the fuel pump.

The Fuel System Circuit Diagrams and connectors can be referenced in the Honda Service Manuals.

Page 4-5 in the Gold Wing GL1500 Service Manual.

Page 3-2 in the Gold Wing GL1500 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (ETM).

Page 12-11 (photo 67) in the Gold Wing GL1500 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual

(ETM). (In the 1996 Manual)

Page 12-9 (photo 59) in the Gold Wing GL1500 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual

(ETM). (In the 1999 Manual)

Check for voltage/power at the C178 connector.

Check for voltage/power at the In-Line Capacitor D.

Check for voltage/power at the C184 connector.

Note: The In-Line Capacitor D is installed on all 1993 – 2000 SE models, other models

when adding a Hondaline CB radio.

If that Capacitor D is bad, the fuel pump will not have input voltage.
Thank you. I will be checking all that after the rainstorm thats hitting today. I appreciate your help!!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another update. Checked the battery again today. it only had 10.25 volts. put it on the charger. THAT might be the fix for the starting issue. then I only need the fuel to get to the carbs. I THINK its the vacuum petcock valve that is stopping the fuel. I may have the vacuum hoses hooked wrong. I am looking at some "paperwork" that was.........provided. checking that after it downloads.
THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FINAL UPDATE!!!!!!!!!
the FIRST thing I wanna say is, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to each and everyone who tried to help. YOU DID HELP!!!!! I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!!! Carbs are back in, vacuum lines connected, and bike is RUNNING!!!!!!!
I DID find out my old battery had a dead cell, that's why it wouldn't start. Replaced the battery, made sure everything connected, and SHE LIVES!!!!! now I just need to put on the plastics!!!
Again, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts