Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey Guys,

I've been looking around for a throttle lock. My old 1200 had one that I could lock the throttle in place and take my hands away from the throttle gripand maintain my speed. It was great for giving my hand a break and as a low tech cruise control. The new bike doesn't have one and after a 250 mile ride today I realized I really missed it.

Anyone know where I can find one? The throttlemate I've found online is not the same.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

Yep,Have a vista on my 81 but LOVE my electric cruise on my 89 :) I had thought before about trying a "throttle rocker" has anyone tried this. I have heard from other riders that it works well. Throttle Locks should be fairly easy to find and reasonable ( around $20.00)

DC

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

That's similar to what was on my old bike but mine was chrome plated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

Bev I put one on my '83.Got it from the dealer.Its for a 1" handlebar but I used some electrical tape called "mastic" (available in Home Depot electrical department)to take up the space.Works great.Its not chrome plated but it only cost $35.
Some assembley required.

Also have a throttle rocker which attaches with velcro.Again works great so you can release your grip and just apply the weight of your hand.But you do still have to have the right arm up there.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
imported post

I found one at the Honda dealer, black plastic, made for the 1200 for$12.00. Can't remember who made it, but I do see them every once in a while on ebay.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
imported post

Beverly,

A heads up for you on installing the Vista Cruise throttle lock on your GL1200. Specifically the Vista Cruise (product 168) for dual-cable Hondas.

I just put one on my ’87 Aspencade. Even though my bike has a factory cruise control, I find it easier to use a throttle lock for short duration wrist naps, quick helmet visor adjustments, emergency scratching of an itch, etc.

I had to do a bit of plastic trimming on the Vista Cruise throttle lock to get it to fit just right. I had to trim a bit of width off of one of the two “feet” that fit between the bike’s two throttle cable fittings on the bottom of the handlebar assembly. Without the trimming, the entire assembly would not push all the way in toward the handlebar assembly and thus apply too much friction against the circumference of the rubber on the throttle grip flange. Result; the throttle lock could not be adjusted to a loose enough pressure to allow the throttle to snap back to idle when released.

I also had to sand down a bit of a sharp lip on in inside diameter of the locking ring that puts pressure on the throttle to hold it open. The ring should be smooth on the ID so that it can provide an even pressure around its entire circumference.

With these two minor “corrections” to the stock part, it is working just fine on my bike. The provided keyed pressure adjustment is quite precise and can be set to your preference.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to get the the Vista Cruise throttle lock...There's a bike shop I just found a few miles from here that sells them.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

DC,

I have a chrome plated throttle lock on my 1980 GL1100, and it works very well.

Nightrider1

DCrain wrote:
Yep,Have a vista on my 81 but LOVE my electric cruise on my 89 :) I had thought before about trying a "throttle rocker" has anyone tried this. I have heard from other riders that it works well. Throttle Locks should be fairly easy to find and reasonable ( around $20.00)

DC

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

OOPSS, Sorry, Was correcting a typo, and doubled my messsage.

Sorry,

Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

i have the same as nightrider1, best add ive bought so far, before that i had a throttle rocker, which was ok till i had an experience with it, as i was turning around with full lock the throttle rocker got caught under my sleeve,( i wasnt wearing gloves) i nearly dropped the bike, so i took it off and bought the vista cruise

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

redneck,

I had that problem with the thottle rocker I had, and I was cranking up, and as I went out of my yard, downhill, it stuck. Luckly, I laid it on its side, and was able tohit the master kill switch. Didn't hurt nothing but the yard.

Nightrider1

redneck wrote:
i have the same as nightrider1, best add ive bought so far, before that i had a throttle rocker, which was ok till i had an experience with it, as i was turning around with full lock the throttle rocker got caught under my sleeve,( i wasnt wearing gloves) i nearly dropped the bike, so i took it off and bought the vista cruise

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

I had the cheaper Vista on my 83,many years ago.It worked fine,so I'll get one for my recently acquired naked 84...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.