Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So I lost my right side cover. What a real bummer. It breaks my heart to think that it is probably laying in the freeway ditch somewhere, all alone and never to be reunited with its owner.

I have since found out how common this is. Buying used is next to impossible to find, buying new is outrageously priced.

I found this aftermarket side cover set - http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/30904_gl1500_chrome_side_cover_set_w_rubber_grommets

This appears to be a great replacement at a great price. Has anyone used these? There are mixed reviews, good look with crappy fit.

It seems to me that replacing is only a temporary fix if it will eventually fly off again. I know that Rudy sells a tether kit which is a great idea to keep on what is trying to fall off.

I propose to buy a set of the above mentioned side covers and assist in holding them on with magnets. Nothing would be seen and with strong enough, strategically place magnets, there is no chance of fly off. A small metal plate(s) would be adhered to the cover and the magnet(s) mounted on the frame and/or body.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,193 Posts
imported post

Quite a few of those have been purchased by members here.

There are reports that after a couple of years, the chrome leaves and the metal rusts.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

They are okay for a while. The chrome scuffs very very easily and the tabs that sit in the grommets break easily too.

I know it's a bit late for you goldnuts, but Rudy's keeper kit is the way to prevent losing your side panels.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Best solution in my eye, is to wait until you find a suitable OEM replacement on eitherEbay, one offered on this forum, or an 'outside source'.

Then purchase a set of Rudy's panel keeper deluxe kit (RPD on Rudy's Pruducts.com). Ya, I know some people balk at the thought of spending $55 for the kit, but you unfortunatelynow know 1) how expensive just one of these panels are and 2) how much a PITA they are just to locate one, never mind trying to locate one in the colour of your bike. If you do find one and it's not the same colour, there is the added expense of painting it to match. As previously stated, the Chrome Aftermarket ones are only a temporary stop gap measure until you locate the one you need/want. Buying a new set of grommets are also only a temporary solution

I had procrastinated about purchasing a set of Rudy's tethered offerings, but when I noticed how loose one of my fender panels was becoming and the cost of it's replacement, I finally hopped down off the fence and ordered a set of his fender panel keepersalong withthe panel keeper deluxe tether kits andwas impressed with the quality and the engineering of his products. There is a lot of thought and research that goes into his products. (I've seen it 1st hand)

Dusty

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Actually Dusty, that kit is only $35. The $55 price you mentioned is for the whole bike kit.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I stand corrected .... thanks for pointing that out, Rudy!

I just consider the $59 for the whole bike kit set a bargain and gives me a peace of mind, when you consider the consequences of losing just one panel! :readit:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.